Praise for Pappou's work

Praise for Pappou's work

Postby BAD » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:25 pm

So far you have more than impressed me with the amount of talent and energy you have put into this project.

So much so, that I thought it could use it's own thread for praise. :)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Re: Praise for Pappou's work

Postby pappou » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm

You are so kind, Bad; thank you for saying so. Maybe you know how tough it is when your work is ignored.

However, i also know that you guys (including Trylon, Paradox, Aloys, Kato, Lontahv -- and others i cannot recall right now) are the engines here. I am delighted to be one of the box cars. Thanks for taking me along for the ride.

Also i should say this: I am delighted with the high quality of people writing to these GoW forums. When I stray to other forums, I am too often given the verbal boot. I can understand the unhappiness they feel over the loss of MOUL; but GoW feels it too, and instead of becoming depressed, GoW is busy trying to discover the solution.

Thank you again for your hard work.
pappou
pappou

Postby Chacal » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:44 pm

I was just browsing your recent changes and thinking the same. I'm distressed that I have so little free time these days; so far I gave only a cursory glance to your work and I can't begin to imagine the skills and time you're putting into it. I WILL put some time aside for reading and analysing your work, even if it means taking a day off from work!
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Jojon » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:41 am

pappou wrote:You are so kind, Bad; thank you for saying so. Maybe you know how tough it is when your work is ignored.

Ow!

While there is little commenting on the material you and others present, rest assured that people (well, those in this thread, for starters, at least) appreciate it. I do know what a lack of feedback can do to motivation.

I believe most of us simply struggle to keep up with you and the sheer quantity of quality stuff you produce -- it really takes some time to get into and I, for one, find myself spending just about all of the little time I manage to allot to sehvtee nea, trying to keep up with skimming recent entries to this forum -- still not an excuse not to deliver an encouraging word now and then... :7

So, keep up the good work man - great stuff!
Jojon

Postby pappou » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:00 pm

You make me feel so BAAAADDDDD for bitching like that. Normally, i don't make such depressive little bitchings until about 3 o'clock in the morning. Please, do not make any special effort re: TwoCities. If something stands out i would appreciate hearing from you of course -- or if something fails to stand out.

There is so much good work to ponder in these journals. I wonder how many people give up on things because they fail to get their 15 minutes in the spot light. Everyone (not just me) knows how lonely it is when you fail to attract an audience. But such an audience really only amounts to little ego pats. We need something more.

For me, i sorely need someone (actually probably 3 someones) to bounce ideas off of. But when there is not even time to simply read all the journals, how could anyone spend the time on critiquing that that would require?

I come from a background of lavish critiques. That is one of the good things about teaching in the architectural culture -- there is always a critique available for a scheme. Not just wordy blather, but deep and thoughtful analysis. And i miss that. I need it for TwoCities.

But i also realize that everyone has their own field to plow. So, when i climb down off my 'feel sorry for me' perch, i am surprised that so many people have stopped by to say hello. I thank you all for your good words.

Still, it would help if there were more time for that; more of: 'just stopped in to say hi; 'hi'; bye'. But what is needed even more by so many of us is a lot of valuable time lavished upon our own little babies. And we must face it. That is not likely to happen. The people who do have 3D modelers helping them are blessed.

Take this long apology/analysis message:

Only really rapid readers are likely to skip through it all the way. I know. I do the same thing. Too many truly good projects are out there that i have either ignored or given only the cursory once-over-lightly.

That's life – i guess; but many nice ideas are withering on the vine for lack of cultivation. I wish there were some way to support them. But ah me; such is life.

Thanks guys, for your kind words and your beautiful intentions.
pappou
pappou

Postby Lontahv » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:18 pm

Hrrm, I like to be referred to as an engine. ;)

*runs away*

*comes back*

Oh and, we need all the ideas we can get (so we can pick and chose), only that's hard for the people who have good ideas and want a chance to have them be reality. We have a shortage of skilled modelers. With the Yinfara project Justin is talking about getting more modelers but... WHO? most of the other skilled modelers are working on other projects that really need them. So, for now, we can't really have a team--rather a pile of people with ideas that want them modeled and textured so, the best thing to do for now is learn how to model. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Return to Pappou's Journal