Experimental Age

Experimental Age

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:58 pm

This experimental age is to help me learn the various aspects of Age making on a small scale, plus learn a few tricks from Blender.

Today I copied over all the new scripts uploaded today and.

Also today I reloaded each texture, and cleared all materials before reloading each texture.
The ground now has grass.
Volcano has a dirt texture.
The hut roof is a tad too high from the walls.
The texture on the walls of the hut don't repeat very well, have to re texture that.
The avatar appears all black when playing, so I have to work out why thats the case.
I also have to blend the two textures of the ground and volcano together, just like Cyan does for the Cleft.

boblisman, with much thanks, gave me the answer to why I could play the age, apparently you need to use a "unique prefix", which I am using 5000 temporarily.

Here is a pic of the improvements.
Show Spoiler
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Re: Experimental Age

Postby Grogyan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:31 pm

I've managed to blend the textures together, but i'm still not happy at how they appear in game.

I've corrected the black avatar thing - no sunlight

Because the blending had to be done via vertex Alpha layer textured, the grass appears to be as vivid as if it were day, before I put in the sun.

Still gotta re-texture that hut, in the meantime, i'm playing around with cameras, specifically rotating cameras.
I have still yet to put in a sky dome, but that is a quick thing, i'll even have a peek again at Terragen, apparently that can do skies.
When I do, i'll put in a ladder and a large underground cavern.

I'll attempt to put a 2 x 2 x 2 Rubiks cube on the door of the hut, but until there is some detailed documentation, or tutorials on scripting puzzles, and gui's, it will remain as a fixed object.

But for now, i'm more concerned with putting in a working ladder and a journal
Grogyan

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:12 am

Ok, I got the second camera to work, but not as I had intended, but abut according to the compiler, setting the camera to circle is not enough, or the result of a bug in the plugin, because its always gets set as fixed.

I'll post these findings over on the main forum, maybe one of the plugin developers can shed light on this problem.
http://grogyan.googlepages.com/G5_1.zip
Grogyan

Postby Grogyan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:26 pm

I was bored again today at work, and was day dreamin about what, or how I could do more to be an experimental Age, when I realized that I could continue with it, making it into a full Age complete with puzzles.
Generator puzzle,
Vertical Labyrinth puzzle
Traditional horizontal maze puzzle,
Telescope puzzle.
Colour code puzle

Just a few ideas that I can probably do, though I still wait for custom animations to be implemented, though its not nice, I suppose I could do without them for the mo.
Grogyan

Postby Grogyan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Things are going well now, except for the bug or two in Blender itself.
I got the camera circling, but it isn't what I had in mind, will wait to see how to map a Camera to a path.
I got the blending working using stencils, thanks very much Nadnerb.
I have written up a tutorial on how to model a ladder using bezier curves and circles, and using the Array modifier
Its a shame that it took so long to find any or partial tutorial on making tubing in Blender easy, especially when I saw this
Show Spoiler

So I have compounded the tutorial enough so that any newbie can model one, and get some experience with the bezier curve an bezier circle tools in Blender, also it will let Google know to search here when someone else has the same problem

http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/Modeling ... f_interest

Just having a little trouble with Ladder regions now.
Grogyan

Return to Grogyan's Journal