La Casa -- A Web-based Story

La Casa -- A Web-based Story

Postby Inanna » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:14 am

I have spoken of La Casa in other threads, but now that I have some portions of this web-based age online I am asking my fellow writers to have a look and let me know what they think of the effort so far. I fully realize that this is nothing like the ages we all imagine, but I am first and foremost a storyteller -- not an artist nor a programmer. I am using the tools I know -- character, plot, dialog, and HTML. This is the first age the Friends of the Fissure (FoF) design team has attempted in this format and we need feedback to see if we are on the right track for what we are doing. To link into the story go to URU Index and click on the area in the upper left of the Relto hut. What we have now is mostly test pages. If you have suggestions or ideas, please share them with the FoF design team. If you are interested in helping, we need artists, writers and coders.

The plan at present is to use HTML coded pages to present the story of "what lies beyond the fence." This question came to me when I first played URU as a solo game. I have expanded on that idea, addressing how the local Navajo would have viewed the Cleft and the influx of people over the past decade. I have added the point of view of anthropology and archeology as expressed by professionals who know nothing of the D'ni. Right now The Traveler has the chance to talk to a few locals, the choice to go to Albuquerque to talk with a UNM professor, and then to return to the road leading to La Casa.

The second phase will be when The Traveler arrives at the house and meets those who live there. We have some residents there already, but since the place is a bed & breakfast many more guests can be accommodated (just let me know if you want your avatar's name in the guest book :) ). The story of the house, its residents, its history will be revealed as The Traveler explores the rooms and reads the materials, most of which will be in the library.

The third phase will be reaching the upper floors of the house. In the bedrooms The Traveler will get a more intimate picture of the residents, and will meet La Casa's most elusive resident, KoHama niD'ni (originally KoHama ni Dineh). KoHama is the only character who connects directly with Cyan's character Elias Zandi. We have no wish to tread on toes nor to become entangled with copyright issues, and we have ever intention of going carefully in this area. KoHama is being created as someone who was a close friend of Elias, and upon his death she left New Mexico, using a link book Elias had given her.

FoF is hoping that by the time all of the above has been created in HTML, we will have developed the skills to create a proper 3D age called Refuge, the place where KoHama stayed for the decade following Elias' death. Although, TBH, having looked at the opening screen of Blender, I will be spinning out web pages for a loooooooooong time.

I appreciate your patience and assistance.
Inanna

To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven.

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Re: La Casa -- A Web-based Story

Postby Chacal » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 pm

This is very promising. The story holds up well.
I have a few 1280x1024 pictures of the area around Santa Fe, it looks a lot like Zandi's property.
Here's a smaller sample:

the road to Santa Fe Show Spoiler
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tinuviel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Shorah, Inanna! Glad to have you back here:-) I really like your story. And I am looking forward to see more of it:-)
«Borders? I have never seen one, but I have heard they exist in the minds of some people.»
(Thor Heyerdahl)
Tinuviel

Postby Inanna » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. That is what I most wanted to hear. ms. isis, Atheni33 and I have been working on this project for months, and this is just a slender start. It goes to show that we can create stories right now -- no bells and whistles -- but a chance to get those creative ideas out there. Blender is going to take time to master, and I don't know if I will ever have much of a hand at it. I am working on adding music and possible video captures to the story.

Since La Casa is a bed and breakfast, I hope that everyone will stop by when driving away from the Cleft after April 10. You can add your name to the guest book and the library will have room for lots of books. If you have stories, poetry, journals -- anything that a passing traveler might have left for others to share, let me know and I will see your words added to the site as it grows.
Inanna

To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven.

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Postby Cernunnos » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:12 pm

This looks really fascinating. Are you still continuing it?
Watch them fall and you're sure to follow. You must not look down.
Cernunnos

Return to Inanna's Journal