Welcome To Inanna's Journal

Welcome To Inanna's Journal

Postby Inanna » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:17 pm

I am Inanna, a founder of Myss Terrie's bevin, and IRL, a published historian. In the vast reaches of my checkered career I at one time worked as a content writer for a computer fantasy game (a failed dot com -- but my writing was just fine). That was about a decade ago and game technology has marched on. Good storytelling, however, never really changes. If you do not have a story to tell you do not have much upon which to base an age creation.

I know we will have to make small tests of the technology: can we get an avatar to walk? can we get a tree to move in a soft breeze? can we create a puzzle that actually requires effort to crack? But for storytelling there is a lot of research and backstory, all necessary even if it does not directly appear in the age itself. Consider the bahro art we see throughout the ages -- somebody thought it needed to be there and that thought had a genesis. All it tells us is that the bahro are intelligent and capable of expressing themselves in an abstract way, but that is speaking volumes to those who want to understand the nature of the bahro.

I am working with a very small team on a story that has started as a forum-based "fan fic" and is now nearly ready for a web-based graphical presentation. When we are done we will have a mix of static graphics with embedded links that reveal the story in non-linear form. Some links will go to text, others will go to images with further embedded links. I realize that this will seem very like the very earliest form of online story any of us ever saw, but it is one approach that can be accomplished with the skills and tools that many of us have at present. If the GoW can then take the humble first effort and transform it into a viable URU-style age, that will be wonderful. If not, you can still enjoy the story. I will post more on our progress when we have some real progress to report.
Inanna

To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven.

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Re: Welcome To Inanna's Journal

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:15 pm

Welcome, Inanna!

We are most eager to see your team's story. Having it laid out graphically will really help the architects here to model and texture it.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Inanna » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:21 pm

In light of the devastating news about the ending of MOUL, I feel that my efforts for the next few weeks should be devoted to seeing what can be done to preserve what we have built. Once the 60 days are up -- with whatever resolution we reach -- I will return to the age creation I was describing. It may well be that even such humble methods will be what keeps URU alive on the web until another host arrangement is found.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Inanna

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Postby lilyflower » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:25 am

Hi there
I hope you don't mind but
I have only briefly skimmed through what you about the discovery of the Cleft and why it had remained unknown to Europeans for so long. I have an idea which you can discard if you want. Supposing the Cleft had been hidden in a bubble - rather like in Myst V. Zandi could have had a dream about it, or Anna/Yeesha could have sent the dream to him - with all the relevant instructions on how to open up the bubble and reveal the Cleft. Maybe he had to find a hidden Bahro stone first and in his dream Yeesha told him it was his destiny to find the Cleft. Maybe he had to endure a few trials and tests first - whatever..... Perhaps the Cleft could still be hidden to outsiders and only accessible to Uru fans like you & I.
Just a thought ...
lily
lilyflower

Postby lilyflower » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 am

Hi there
I hope you don't mind but I have only briefly skimmed through what you about the discovery of the Cleft and why it had remained unknown to Europeans for so long. I have an idea which you can discard if you want.
Supposing the Cleft had been hidden in a bubble - rather like in Myst V. Zandi could have had a dream about it, or Anna/Yeesha could have sent the dream to him - with all the relevant instructions on how to open up the bubble and reveal the Cleft. Maybe he had to find a hidden Bahro stone first and in his dream Yeesha told him it was his destiny to find the Cleft. Maybe he had to endure a few trials and tests first - whatever..... Perhaps the Cleft could still be hidden to outsiders and only accessible to Uru fans like you & I.
Just a thought ...
lily
lilyflower

Postby lilyflower » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:27 am

Hi there
I hope you don't mind but I have only briefly skimmed through what you about the discovery of the Cleft and why it had remained unknown to Europeans for so long. I have an idea which you can discard if you want.
Supposing the Cleft had been hidden in a bubble - rather like in Myst V. Zandi could have had a dream about it, or Anna/Yeesha could have sent the dream to him - with all the relevant instructions on how to open up the bubble and reveal the Cleft. Maybe he had to find a hidden Bahro stone first and in his dream Yeesha told him it was his destiny to find the Cleft. Maybe he had to endure a few trials and tests first - whatever..... Perhaps the Cleft could still be hidden to outsiders and only accessible to Uru fans like you & I.
Just a thought ...
lily
lilyflower

Postby lilyflower » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:35 am

Sorry about the duplications - it's 35 deg F today and it's only 10.30am and my pc is rather warm even with the fans going.
lilyflower

Postby Inanna » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Hello, Lilyflower. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you before, but I have been very sick and mostly just trying to get over this lingering cold.

The staff of La Casa has discovered several cases of "instancing" going on and we believe that the Cleft is instanced as well. Those who are "called" will see the Cleft as we do. Those not so called will see a bare landscape as presented in Dr. Donnelly's research notes on La Casa's library bookshelf. We believe that the first calls went out soon after Zandi and co. found the Cavern and that's when things started appearing in the fenced area. It is also why only some of us see it as rainy there, but the National Weather Service has not as yet commented on that wet bit of desert.

If you explore the rooms of La Casa and try out some of the vision preparations some of them will cause you to sleep link into a different room where there are things hidden.

Thanks for writing.
Inanna

Chuang Tse
Inanna

Return to Inanna's Journal