Age Two

Age Two

Postby Zander » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:27 pm

I had wondered where the Guild were getting the Garohevtee that they were doling out to us a few at a time. From what little I have seen, they seem to be working from an ancient, hand-bound notebook, with annotations in what I would almost swear was English, though I only saw it from a distance. That would make sense. Our knowledge of the D'ni language itself is fragmentary at best: I doubt if we could puzzle out a single page of the Rehevkor itself, even if we had managed to find a copy anywhere in the City. Perhaps one of Atrus' or Yeesha's old notebooks, rescued from Tomahna or Myst, has given us the Rosetta stone we need to make a beginning at least. Hopefully by the time we learn all that is contained therein, we shall have found a way to extend our knowledge.

Anyway, to my own efforts. I reluctantly set Age One aside and resolved to begin again from scratch. I succeeded in Writing in a flat plain, but when I tried to shape it all I could manage were geometrically correct pyramids. Something is definitely wrong. I shall have to go back and consult the teachers. In the end, I made a virtue of necessity and managed to Write a fairly creditable stone-flagged floor. Much emboldened, I tried to put walls around it, and I succeeded...but instead of the weathered stone blocks I had tried to Write, my walls were as featureless and black as the "sky" around them. Whether this is because of the lack of light, I do not know--but if it is, why is the floor visible?

There is more to this Art than meets the eye. Or fails to meet it, in my case. At least I can walk safely in Age Two without falling off the edge. (I shall start naming my Ages when I manage to Write one that is worthy of a name.)
Zander

Return to Zander's Journal