Age Five--no name as yet

Age Five--no name as yet

Postby Zander » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:44 am

Today I started on the first Age that I can realistically call my own. It's hard to know, in the absence of more complete reference material, what may be varied and what may not. I am quite pleased with the stone. The soil blending was problematical as before, but this time the grass has come up strong and green.

My main problems have come with trying to vary the sky, which has produced some very strange effects, and with trying to add an ocean. Whatever I do, the "water" appears black and seems to absorb all light. I have not ventured into it, but I doubt it would bear my weight, and certainly it cannot be drinkable.

I shall keep trying with the sky, and I am fairly confident I shall get it right eventually, but I may have to ask for help with the sea.
Zander

Re: Age Five--no name as yet

Postby Zander » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:07 pm

And so farewell, Age Five.

I had it almost--well, not perfect, but working. With the help of my friends and teachers, I had conquered the shadowed sky and the slotted sea, and the ground was no longer lighting up when I trod on it. I could even hear my footsteps when I walked on the grass. I had it.

And then I tried to Write in one more thing, and the entire island heaved itself up on one side and collapsed into the ocean. I still don't know what I did wrong, but there was no going back. I changed, deleted, reWrote--the Age would not resolve. Triumph and disaster, handcuffed together as usual.

I wish there was some surviving text on the general principles of this Art that we have. The Stranger quotes from a journal of Atrus' which mentions four guiding principles, but I can't at this point remember what they are. I must go back and consult his accounts.

Until I can consistently produce Ages of the quality of Age Five before the disaster, there is no point in attempting to go any further into the Art. I've asked for four more blank Books (thank gods we're not limited in terms of supplies of ink and paper) and will concentrate on replicating my success, and possibly on increasing the scale. I think I should be able to manage that without too many disasters.

Age Ten will be the next step forward.
Zander

Return to Zander's Journal