29 February 2008

29 February 2008

Postby Kellinar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:56 pm

As I gaze out my patio window not really noticing snow-capped fourteener Pike's Peak (a mere 12 to 15 miles away) - I ponder at the seemingly monumental task before me. I have committed myself to the Guild of Writers to be a contributing student in the venerable Art of Writing Ages - not for money nor power, but simply for community. Up until a month ago, I have never envisioned myself as a writer of Ages, nor felt that I would eventually become one of many striving to provide a place, a haven - perhaps a new home for myself and fellow explorers to visit. For many years now, I was simply an enthralled solitary explorer of ancient D'ni and quite recently enjoyed personal interaction with others in Ae'gura that have the same passion for this extraordinary and fascinating civilization. Since the advent of the Bahro War, I now feel strongly compelled to write and create and still seek the truth - I wonder if this is what they meant by the "calling"?

As I shake my head in disbelief, I cannot help but feel like Atrus sitting at his makeshift stone table in K'veer desperately writing to stabilize an Age and yet here I am doing the same thing. I too am glued to my desk sketching, writing, compiling and learning the Art at an unnatural speed to create a good, stable first Age. I have to admit that I never liked history, yet history can tell us what has been done and can or still is beneficial to this day or what not to do as a hard sacrificed lesson learned then. We must endeavor to survive in peace and mutual collaboration and hopefully we can avoid our own possible future Fall of (current) Civilization. Too many of our historical civilizations have fallen...even the great D'ni was not immune to too much power, poor governmental policies or the arrogance of supremacy over others.

But I digress from the purpose of this journal and that is to record my actual Age writing progress. To date, I believe I have gathered all the necessary tools available from the Guild of Writers (GoW) and I have intently listened to those more advanced in the Art and I pay due diligence to any new discoveries or techniques in writing methodologies. Frustratingly enough, I find myself lost every so often (more frequently than not) from unfamiliar linguistic terms and it momentarily impedes my work. I will persevere even though I lack prior knowledge and experience in this type of occupation and I will eventually produce something to behold and hopefully be acceptable.

I am constantly thinking about my Age during all of my waking hours - even while I'm working at my other job. On several occasions, I have experienced insomnia just laying in bed visualizing constructs that could possible work. Arrgh!! I have never in my life been so consumed by a desire to do something of this magnitude and it is both exhilarating and completely frustrating at the same time!

My initial Age will be parked in shell 321 in Ahra Pahts and i plan to construct a sort of "way-station" for explorers and a good place for me to relax and continue studying and implementing the Art there.
Beware - I am an absolute total noob, so use small words...
Kellinar

05 March 2008

Postby Kellinar » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:07 pm

I need further research on my writing tools and materials. My first tester age is not working out as planned. I will consult the Guild Masters on this and hopefully they will show me the errors in my writing.

In Ahra Pahts at shell 321, I envision a privacy wall that one will walk around at the entrance and you will come into a courtyard. There will be a large meeting hall to the left and in a 3/4 circumference to the right will be adjoining buildings that offer explorers goods and services and even a place to rest. I see a sort of shoppe for food and clothing, another for tools and various exploratory gear, and a small cafe' - maybe a tavern. I was thinking of constructing a sort of library and/or casual place to gather above the meeting hall. I will write in a staircase that connects the meeting hall, up to the "library" and going down below the meeting hall to my personal quarters and further below to the catacombs. There is much more detail in my mind, but I dare not write it down in this journal for fear that I may not be able to produce it at all.

I shall patiently await further guidance from the GoW.

I wish to give thanks to Nadnerb, Nynaveve and andylegate for their patience and time to explain my shortcomings. I believe I have at least the minimal resources at my disposal to start my second tester Age.
Beware - I am an absolute total noob, so use small words...
Kellinar

Return to Kellinar's Journal