Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby Karkadann » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:51 pm

:roll:
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Karkadann » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Id work on it my self if I could.......................
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Fabioguar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:31 am

I thougt you wanted to put a garden where now there is the green so I thought about the sound of nature.

Deledrius wrote:Maybe something like this? Möbius Music Box
;)

Good idea. It could be fun to have a simple song that reverse every time the player change angle. I can do some tracks with the same arrangement but with reversed melody but the track don't have to be suddendly interrupted when the player change angle. Is it possible after changing angle to let ending the current track and than starts the second reversed?
I can do 3 different loop track if you can to make them play with the correct loop. If it is not possible I can write a single track with this kind reversed melody.
Fabioguar

Postby Karkadann » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Since this thread has started I have unfortunately had to sacrifice any further of my own contributions to Relativity with the exception of a possible prp file and even then its a lot of "/location" hit and miss to get the object placed right. a bit frustrating at times but a sacrifice that was well worth getting it working. So at this point, its all up to the blender artist to complete it. Matt said he was working on it however I believe he got side tracked with a few Real Live priorities. I put a lot of work into the original structure (more then I am willing to admit) but can not figure out Blender so again its up to you Blender guys. The only request I have is that any addition you make would be something M.C. Escher would be proud of. On that note I believe the files are available on page 5 of this thread. And if we ever get this as a fan addition to one of the Open Source shards I think it will be a first for video games as far as M.C Escher's Relativity is concerned. With the right advertising it might help Uru/MOUL regain some of its former popularity as a result of the combination of something as well known as M.C Escher's Relativity and video games.

How many times have you enjoyed a picture or drawing so much that you wanted to walk into it and become part of it. Uru CC and GoW gives you that chance with M. C. Escher's Relativity
Karkadann

Postby Fabioguar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 am

Karkadann wrote:The only request I have is that any addition you make would be something M.C. Escher would be proud of. [...] With the right advertising it might help Uru/MOUL regain some of its former popularity as a result of the combination of something as well known as M.C Escher's Relativity and video games.
How many times have you enjoyed a picture or drawing so much that you wanted to walk into it and become part of it. Uru CC and GoW gives you that chance with M. C. Escher's Relativity

These words makes me study a bit more M.C. Escher and I'm considering the musical matter in a different view.
Music and math are stricly linked and some artist used this link to do some strange "math song", my favourite one is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY
This song is written using the fibonacci code.

I'm thinkin to write a song using some characteristic of the Escher's works:
- Recursiveness
- Fractal geometric
- Perpetual motion on object
- and, of course, the "mobius music box" :)

Show Spoiler

It could be a challenge :ugeek:
What do you think about it?
Fabioguar

Postby Deledrius » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:01 pm

That's an interesting use of the Fibonacci sequence. Thanks for sharing that one.

BTW, ViHart recently created a more elaborate video on Möbius music called Folding Space-Time. She has a habit of making mathemusical compositions.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:50 pm

It could be a challenge
What do you think about it?

its a bit over my head, But it sounds like it would fit nicely, math never was my strong point, which is kinda ironic because from what I understand, Relativity is one very unusual mathematical puzzle, that I needed 3 or 4 of his drawings covered in reference lines to figurer out among other things
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Karkadann wrote:...math never was my strong point, which is kinda ironic because from what I understand, Relativity is one very unusual mathematical puzzle, that I needed 3 or 4 of his drawings covered in reference lines to figurer out among other things
From what I read... Escher created a lot of geometric drawings some of his mathematician friends could describe and represent with mathematical models, but most of the time he didn't understand or it didn't interest him... Especially his perspective drawings.
So math isn't a requirement to create such great things :)
Sirius

Postby Mystler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Well, to be honest, I do not really understand the Fibonacci song. It feels too much like "take a number sequence and try to create music with it" for me.

Anyway, there's also another point: Of course it is creative and challenging to make a song out of complex mathematical constructs, but I doubt the listeners/players (in the Relativity age) would actually hear that if they do not know. What I want to say is: Is it worth the effort to create a melody with mathematics if nobody recognizes that?
I'm not sure but I believe I wouldn't really think about it and just say: Sounds good or sounds not good...
Mystler

Postby Fabioguar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 am

Sirius wrote:So math isn't a requirement to create such great things :)

I think math is required to emulate this great thing.

Mystler wrote:I'm not sure but I believe I wouldn't really think about it and just say: Sounds good or sounds not good...

Yes, of course. The challenge is to do a music that sounds good using something linked to Escher and the age, not only to do a sequence of notes. A casual melody or a melody written only on paper sounds like someone hits a piano with his fist :)
That was only an idea, this weekend I'll try to do a draft.

There is a big possibility i can't do it because of my inexperience :oops:
Fabioguar

PreviousNext

Return to Building