Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby diafero » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:07 am

Btw, thanks to some hints from tach, "/a" now works properly in each of the Relativity subworlds: The avatar will be warped to the original link-in point, leave the subworld, and it will be made "heads up" again.
(for now this applies to DI only, the next Offline KI release will bring the update to everyone)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tachzusamm » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:14 am

tachzusamm

Re: ...and Annabelle's Relativity is really weird

Postby Karkadann » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:00 am

Annabelle wrote: I'm still puzzled on how Karkadann made this one :shock:

I cheated, I was using a Ouija board mouse pad :D

By the way, any chance on adding the tables chairs, and planters Id do it myself but blender has always been a bit beyond me
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:57 pm

I too ran uru for the first time in months recently, just to check out this age on DI. Very impressive indeed. I really liked the shifting devices, although they dropped me through the floor a few times, especially the moving platform one. I suppose that's to be expected when working with subworlds. I might suggest lifting the the player up slightly before dropping them out of the transition subworld so they don't phase through the floor, but really, this is quite polished as it is, and I was surprised to see the multi-stage ladder at work too.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby tachzusamm » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks for your report, Nadnerb - glad you liked it. :)

Nadnerb wrote:I really liked the shifting devices, although they dropped me through the floor a few times, especially the moving platform one. I suppose that's to be expected when working with subworlds. I might suggest lifting the the player up slightly before dropping them out of the transition subworld so they don't phase through the floor,

Yes, that's really strange and I'm wondering why this happens. In the first place, I already expected problems with transitions from subwords, and so there was already Python code integrated in the early version of the Transporters which can lift you up a bit when changing the subworld. But I never experienced such problems, neither offline nor online, so I've set the lifting to zero, and later removed the code, because the transition does not look so smooth any longer when your avatar always makes a small jump after switching the subworld (even if it's only 0.1 units) - it disturbes the seamless transition illusion too much. And the planes align perfectly.
So what could cause it? Could it be that case that it
a) happens only on slow(er) computers or
b) only if the computer is far away from the server (DI is located in Germany) and has a high ping?

Did you try it offline as well, Nadnerb?
And what's your ping to Deep Island? (Mine is about 40-60ms)

The computer I've used to develop it was an Intel Core2 duo 6600 @2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram, 5 years old.

It would be a pity if I have to execute lifting each time for all players - because it does really look much better without. Lifting always causes the avatar to interrupt the walking animation for a short time, which looks like stumbling then.
Maybe I could integrate some sort of "sinking detection" and do the lifting only when needed... I have to think about it.

Karkadann wrote:By the way, any chance on adding the tables chairs, and planters Id do it myself but blender has always been a bit beyond me

I could try to import your already created tables, chairs and the other stuff, but I'll wait first for someone shouting out "I'm willing to expand the age". Just to avoid that we run into different version, and only one person is adding stuff at the same time. ;)
tachzusamm

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:47 pm

I too sank into the floor a few times. The strange thing is that it does not happen when I leave the transporter but when I walk out of its region, at the point where it stops and the camera switches.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Rabenschwinge » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 am

Wasn´t able to visit this age yet (my Internet connection is too slow for online shards), but what I´ve seen in videos and KI-shots is very, very impressive!
It´s amazing, what dedicated people can do with the limited resources we have right now - huge respect for this!
Rabenschwinge

Postby diafero » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:15 am

For some stuff the client does, it awaits confirmation from the server - so, the network delay could indeed be the cause for some people,e specially those far away from Germany, so sink into the ground.
For out poor Australian players, it is still hard to to the fissure jump, as the delay is so large that the panic link region is triggered before the link to the Cleft starts...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Nadnerb » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:50 pm

I haven't tried the age offline, I am in the US, and my ping to the-deep-island.de is about 118ms, though that may or may not represent the time to the actual shard servers.
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby diafero » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:47 am

Yes, the actual server is running on that machine.
My ping to the-deep-island.de is 30ms, and even then I sometimes slip into the ground.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Building