Linking Book mystery.... help needed

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Linking Book mystery.... help needed

Postby boblishman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:04 am

Ok...after spending two days trying to figure this one out, I just hope one of you can help me...

Here's the mystery....

I have three ages... 1) PaahkwehNew 2) Spiralee and 3) Anomar.

PaahkwehNew has two linking books, one to Spiralee and one to Anomar... Spiralee has one linking book to PaahkwehNew.
The pyton file that controls the books uses the uam (ok, ok, I know that its not supported anymore...but as I've said before, until such times that there is a good tutorial and sample script for using another method, it is the only thing I currently have at my disposal..) and the code is as follows

Code: Select all
def OnNotify(self, state, id, events):
        uam.handleNotify(state, id, events)
        if (id == actClickableObject.id):
            if (ObjectMsg.value == 'Sp_linkbook'):
                uam.useAgeBook('Spiralee',self.key)
            if (ObjectMsg.value == 'Pa_linkbook'):
                uam.useAgeBook('PaahkwehNew',self.key)
            if (ObjectMsg.value == 'An_linkbook'):
                uam.useAgeBook('Anomar',self.key)   
    def OnSDLNotify(self, VARname, SDLname, playerID, tag):
        pass

Now... here's where it gets wierd...

The book from PaahkwehNew to Spiralee works fine (Sp_linkbook)
The book from Spiralee to PaahkwehNew works fine (Pa_linkbook)
The book from PaahkwehNew to Anomar(An_linkbook) ... opens...and says "The Age is not installed" ... even though it is... and that I have just linked there (Anomar) from the bookshelf in Relto, and then from Anomar back to Paahkweh via the book in Anomar!!

Whats even more weird... I tried changing the code ... replacing

uam.useAgeBook('Anomar',self.key)

to

uam.useAgeBook('Spiralee',self.key) ... and sure enough, the book (An_linkbook) then links to Spiralee, no problem ... (or PaahkwehNew if I change it to PaahkwehNew)...

However...it will not link to Anomar....and,...wait for this...it wont link to Pahts either (which i also have installed....) ... like I said, the book opens, but it says "the Age is not installed" (for Pahts also!!)

Any ideas.... this is driving me insane... :cry:
when it comes to Age creation ... "DOH" seems to be my middle name...
boblishman

Re: Linking Book mystery.... help needed

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:33 am

From what I understand about UAM is that the check isAgeInstalled should actually always return false since it tries to read an no longer existing UAM config file. But then maybe Trylon changed something in the ULM version (which I do not have) to make it point to his own config?

And then there is another version of the UAM code floating around in which the linking part is (deliberately?) crippled.

I just don't know. Too many people have screwed around with this. It is a total mess. I don't feel like digging into obsolete code with bad version management. I just hope for you that someone does.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Trylon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:57 am

Well, I changed squat to the UAM code - it's there - and recent versions of ULM have the non-broken version, but that's about all there is.

However, upcoming python support should allow for using cyan's python files for this kind of stuff :)
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Nadnerb » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:05 pm

This is because the UAM code does NOT check the dat files to determine whether an age is installed. It checks the "UruAgeManager.int" file for a list of installed ages. Have you updated that file?
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 pm

Ah, now it all makes sense. :) Yep, updating that file should fix it.

Keep in mind that if you ever release your age you have to distribute UruAgeManager.int along with it.
D'Lanor

Postby andylegate » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 pm

the books uses the uam (ok, ok, I know that its not supported anymore...but as I've said before, until such times that there is a good tutorial and sample script for using another method, it is the only thing I currently have at my disposal..)

Not to preach, but......

boblishman has a VERY good point. A point that has been brought up before, several times, by many people (including me).

I've had people here simply say "that code is lame."
or when asked how to do it other wise, we get handed a bit of code that looks completely foreign to those of us that don't understand it.

It's time for a change. You have a LOT of people now that have started learning how to create Ages, and they (including myself) need to know what to do, and how to do it.
What we've got is the old tutorial using UAM on the Alcugs.
People saying they are too busy to explain, or write their own tutorial here.
People saying that someone else will have to write it (the tutorial)

Not much has been added to the Tutorial section of this forum.

We need someone that knows how to write the script that should be used, and give us example of how to use it with "insert your stuff here" fields in the script.
Just as many of you might be too busy to explain it, we are too new to learn it. Especially when I've seen comments like: "It took me a year to learn how to script."

We're not asking you to make us experts in scripting overnight. Nobody can do that.
But the best way for the rest of us noobs to learn how to use it, is to be shown how to use it.
Listed examples of:
Journals
Linking books,
Conditional objects, etc, etc, etc.

Is there no one who can take a little bit of their free time to post some of these in the tutorials part of the forum????
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby boblishman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:55 pm

Nadnerb wrote:This is because the UAM code does NOT check the dat files to determine whether an age is installed. It checks the "UruAgeManager.int" file for a list of installed ages. Have you updated that file?

I hadn´t ... but I just did ... and now it works!

However ... the mystery still remains... I never updated the UruAgeManager.int file for PaahkwehNew or Spiralee ... so...how did those ages get into the UruAgeManager.int file ??? .... and, more to the point ... has something changed in the ULM that no longer automatically updates the UruAgeManager.int file with installed ages .... because it must have updated itself at some point otherwise PaahkwehNew and Spiralee wouldn´t be in there ... but it's not updating itself now ... ??? ...

(I created PahkwehNew and Spiralee before downloading the latest ULM client .... so ... something must have changed in the ULM client .... Trylon?)

@Andy ... thanks for the support ... I guess a a new writer yourself you know where I am coming from ... ;) .
I have written a couple of tutorials for newbies based on my MINIMAL knowledge and experience ... because, I thought, as a community, the whole point was to try and help each other ....
boblishman

Postby D'Lanor » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:39 pm

boblishman wrote:I hadn´t ... but I just did ... and now it works!

However ... the mystery still remains... I never updated the UruAgeManager.int file for PaahkwehNew or Spiralee ... so...how did those ages get into the UruAgeManager.int file ??? ....

Nadnerb added them for you that first time. I assume you downloaded his file.

Andy, I did post a book template in the programming section. Including "insert here" instructions.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby boblishman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:03 pm

D'Lanor wrote: Nadnerb added them for you that first time. I assume you downloaded his file.

DOH!!! ... I never thought to check that file...yes, you're right... Nadnerb had included the ages that he got from my .py file.... NOW, it all makes sense... Thanks guys!!
boblishman

Postby andylegate » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:05 pm

Yes, you did! And I even thanked you for it on the next post!

What we need is your post moved to the tutorial sections. That way people can find it quickly, and efficiently .

Hello mods! Anyone out there???
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Next

Return to Building