Panic Linking causes CTD

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Panic Linking causes CTD

Postby andylegate » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:24 am

I've had people report that my Panic Linking area is causing a crash to desktop.

Here is how they've reported it:

They enter the panic linking area (it's one of the "Bugs" that I put in the testing area of the Training Age, they walk over to one place, and panic link for no reason), and link back to Relto just fine.

Then when they try to link back to the training age, they crash to the desktop. They then restart Uru, and still crash to the desktop when trying to link back to the Age. As though panic linking broke one of the files.

I put the panic link region in just like the tutorials show, it's very easy to do. But I've only tested it a few times, and never got a CTD myself.

Is there a known bug that causes this? Most fan made Ages don't put a panic link area right in the middle of something on purpose like that, but around the Age, under the Age, for real emergency use.
Mine is more like for fun! hehehe.

I've told them to erase the Age files, and reinstall to see if that corrects the CTD for now while I look into this.

EDIT: I tested this myself, yes, after I panic link out, when you link back into the Age, you link in for a split second, then do a CTD. If you rerun Uru and try to link into the AGe, you do a CTD everytime.
Erasing all the Age files, then reinstalling them, cures this, you can link in just fine.......until you panic link again.
Now, when I first put in the panic link area, it didn't do this. It worked fine. Any idea what might cause this?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Panic Linking causes CTD

Postby andylegate » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 am

er, uhm, hmmmm, ................scratching head....

Okay, I don't know WHAT I did but......situation got worse. Here we go:

Knowing that this situation might take a while to figure out, the simplest answer to keep the CTD from happening is to remove the offending bug! Right?
So I fired off a message to my fellow Maintainers, telling them that I would remove the Panic Link area as one of the testing bugs, and then put in something else that's simple.

So I loaded up my blend file. selected the Panic Link area and deleted it.
I then turned around an put in a 2 foot wide ball floating in the air, with colors. Nice simple bug, a ball floating in the air that shouldn't be.

I exported the Age.

And now you CTD everytime you go to link into the AGe!!! :shock:

Now just what the hell is going on??? I'm not using Trylon's latest plug in, I went back to the old stable version 0.5 I think. So it can't be that.
It's not the script file, as when this started to happen, I removed it, just in case.

I'm TOTALLY lost here, this makes no sense whatsoever............

EDIT: Later......
Okay, not sure how I fixed it, but...I deleted all the Age files, AND the tex cache folder. Re-exported the Age, and now back to normal. No more CTD.
BUT!!!!
This is just a band aid. I still had to remove the panic link area. THAT still causes the original problem in my first post.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Chacal » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:38 am

If I remember correctly, when you visit Ages in Uru the game stores some persistent information on your PC. It had something to do with going to or from Relto. There must be something wrong with those local files.

Try deleting the latest directory in the "sav" directory. Take a backup first if you want to keep your game progress information.

For the panic link region that causes the problem, I suggest importing some Cyan Ages (like Relto) in Blender and checking how they did it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:55 am

No need to delete all the sav files. Just delete the one starting with the name of your age.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Return to Building