Status of export with new plugin

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Status of export with new plugin

Postby andylegate » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Okay, just wanted to let you all know how the exporting of my first training Age is going with the new Plugin.

Well, I'm learning a lot! :D

Okay, collisions, finally got everything that needed a collision done, using the Static Triangle Meshes. That worked great.
One problem though.....
Before, if you didn't want your Avie sliding around, you had to make sure that you put in col_flags5 = 00000044.
Well I took advantage of this for a slide I have.
The slide no longer works! So yah, now I actually will have to go back, select those surfaces and put in flags to make is slippery again. Ah well, small price to pay for the fact that from now on, I won't have to worry about forgetting to put in a friction flag.

Textures.......whew! Okay, I went back to all the textures that were screwy looking , and changed Orco to UV.
But I made a mistake. I also did that for the ones that looked fine. Now they are the ones that look messed up. But I know why that is. Basically I need to re-texture the Age. This is not a bad thing (all though it is a pain) as I need to get into practice of texturing Ages this way from now on. So I look at it like good practice! :D

Lighting.......OH MY GOD I'M BEING BLINDED! Damn but the lights are bright now. So I'm going to have to learn how to do lighting all over again.
That shouldn't be too bad, as I didn't know how to do lighting too well anyway!!! hehehehe
I did like this thing though:
While looking at the ground, I had a bright spot that moved when I moved, it's the reflection of the sun. Now my ground is not suppose to reflect the sun like that as it's gravel, not water, but that's pretty cool looking.

Footsteps.....they no longer work, but we were told we would have to re do those.......question is, how?

Ladders ........ can't use my tower anymore! :cry: Hopefully we'll get something soon on how to put climbing areas back in? Yes? Soon? Yes?? I mean, how much different can it be???

Okay, I'm diving back into Blender.

"Oh, I'm off to see the Blender, the wonderful Blender of Ages!" sung to the tune of Wizard of Oz.....
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Re: Status of export with new plugin

Postby Trylon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:58 pm

andylegate wrote:The slide no longer works! So yah, now I actually will have to go back, select those surfaces and put in flags to make is slippery again. Ah well, small price to pay for the fact that from now on, I won't have to worry about forgetting to put in a friction flag.

Actually - just add an rc logic property, set it to a low number like 0.5 or something, and the sliding should be happening again.
If no friction is specified - pyprp assumes that no sliding is wanted so it sets that infinite-friction flag

I did like this thing though:
While looking at the ground, I had a bright spot that moved when I moved, it's the reflection of the sun. Now my ground is not suppose to reflect the sun like that as it's gravel, not water, but that's pretty cool looking.

That's the new specularity support
Use the specularity hardness and value in blender's material settings to customize or remove it.

Footsteps.....they no longer work, but we were told we would have to re do those.......question is, how?

USe the folluwing logicproperties:
string type = region
string regiontype = footstep
string surface is [surfacename]

where surfacename is one of:
"dirt"
"puddle"
"water"
"tile"
"metal"
"woodbridge"
"ropeladder"
"grass"
"brush"
"hardwood"
"rug"
"stone"
"mud"
"metalladder"
"woodladder"
"deepwater"
"maintainerglass"
"maintainerstone"
"swimming"

Ladders ........ can't use my tower anymore! :cry: Hopefully we'll get something soon on how to put climbing areas back in? Yes? Soon? Yes?? I mean, how much different can it be???

Yeah, sorry about that ;)

EDIT:
repaired broken info
Last edited by Trylon on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby andylegate » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Yeah, sorry about that ;)

ROFL!!!! Waddya mean? Ya released a plugin with a broken feature??? GASP!!

Fix it! Now! *cracks whip*

Don't you realize that Uru is ANYTHING but flat??? :D

Nah, it's cool. Well, for me it's not too bad, all though people did like climbing the tower. But for others, this might be a make or break situation, so I hope y'all find a solution soon.

BTW - THANK YOU for the info above.

To Others: Take note! Document this stuff some where! I'm copying it to my notepad and calling it up when I need it! ;)
andylegate

Postby Kato » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Ladders WORK, the implementation is just different.

I believe Nad knows something about the new ladders... :twisted:

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Nadnerb » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Ok, ladders are actually broken in the current version of the plugin, Trylon should be releasing an update soon. (it was inverting the ladderview matrix, making mounting ladders a hassle) The new plugin does not support the "Easy" ladder regions, but requires you to create two climbing regions for each ladder as in this tutorial. (scroll down to "the old yet flexible way") However, the objects must now have an alcscript rather than the text props used in that tut.

Code: Select all
#FreakingLadderMod 2 --------------

InsideLadderTop:
   type: region
   region:
      type: ladder
      ladder:
         direction: down
         style: twofeet
         loops: 13 <"Climb Height" goes here>

InsideLadderBottom:
   type: region
   region:
      type: ladder
      ladder:
         direction: up
         style: twofeet
         loops: 13 <"Climb Height" goes here>
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby andylegate » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:01 pm

Well, I jumped my last hurdle to exporting my Age. I had to take the grid that was my ground and break it up to 4 smaller pieces. The new plug in didn't want to export it otherwise, kept telling me it was too big. Grid was 100 x 100. So I broke it up to 4 sections, and it finally let it export.

Lights are bright, and that is another thing, my Cave light is no longer blue. I've got a feeling it's my sun that is washing it out.

Texturing.....going to have to relearn this, as how I was doing it before, is not going to work with this new plugin. An example is my school building. The outer walls have siding and the inner walls, wood paneling. As each wall is simply one cube mesh, and we could not use more than one UV before, I made a UV image of both the outer siding and inner wall and mapped it that way.
Now, with having to make the material, the Texture is taking over the UV mapping for some reason, and I'm getting walls that are all mixed up! heheh, I'll figure it out, too tired from trying to re-texture the entire Age all day.

Footstep areas......I did what Trylon said, but they still don't work. I figure I need to delete them and put them in again. That will more than likely fix that. No big deal, as they are all easy to put in with this Age.

One really good thing to note:
Before, if you went swimming in my pool, you didn't see the lower half of the Avie under the water for some reason. Now with this plugin you can. I thought that was nice, made it look more real.

I'm pretty much worn out as I've been at this since early this morning (about 14 hours now) so I'm calling it quits for tonight. I'll work some more tomorrow.
andylegate

Return to Building