Instanced objects?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Instanced objects?

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:31 am

Here's something I regularly forget to ask.
Does Plasma support the use of instanced objects?
I have this little Age of mine here that use plenty of identical objects, which are effectively instances in Blender, but get converted to separate objects during the export.. :?
Aloys

Re: Instanced objects?

Postby Marcello » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:33 am

Good question! If Plasma would be able to do that, then stuff like rocks and grass would be less intensive to use. Personally I suppose Plasma does. Thinking of the cleft an all the little bushes there, I can't imagine them being all seperate instances.
Marcello

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 am

Exactly, also when you import the cleft, Relto, or Kemo, all the grass and flowers aren't imported.. I don't remember the exact reason why, but that might be an explanation..
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:26 am

hmm, I suppose that it's technically possible - just link multiple scene objects with a different coordinate interface to the same dynamic Drawable interface.

However, I think there are some problems with that idea.... Don't know yet...
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Aloys » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:51 am

I know I have several thousands of objects in Ahra Pahts and that would be cut down to litterally a fraction if I could use instances.. :o
I'm not sure what would be the impact on loading times and overall performance, but it'd be interesting to look at.
I may sound like I'm barking my own tree here, but I'm sure many other ages could use that too.. Any age which uses repetitive vegetation for instance (trees, grass, flowers etc).
Aloys

Postby Trylon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:41 am

Interestingly, I've taken a look at the desert, and I can't find meshes that are used in multiple objects.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 am

What about the cones? Those are pretty identical. Do they use the same drawable?
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Postby Lontahv » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:38 am

Oh, and avatars! We know they're clones--that's how there can be an unlimited supply in any given age. ;)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Trylon wrote:Interestingly, I've taken a look at the desert, and I can't find meshes that are used in multiple objects.

Careful. When you look at the desert, the desert looks back at you.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:36 pm

Perhaps it would be possible to set multiple plSceneObjects to different plDrawableInterfaces that specify the same drawable index?

IIRC Setting Multiple plSceneObjects to one plDrawableInterface does not work. (Only one of the objects is rendered.)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Building