Per Page Textures - Question

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Per Page Textures - Question

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:25 pm

I've been wondering about the ages I see with multiple prp files. How does this work and what does it do? I have a large age in development and I think it could benefit from them, but how does it all work? How do you do it? I can't find any tutorials in the wiki.
Mystified Explorer

Re: Per Page Textures - Question

Postby Paradox » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:32 pm

If you want to split geometry and objects across multiple pages, you'll have to edit the Book text and add another page.
Code: Select all
    pages:
      - index: 0
        name: mainRoom

- index: 1
        name: mySecondPage

You can then set page_num to 1 and those objects will be exported in the <agename>_District_mySecondPage.prp file.
Paradox

Re: Per Page Textures - Question

Postby Chacal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:48 pm

It's like working on any big project, such as a software project. At some point it becomes easier to work with smaller parts.
The main use, I suppose, is to enhance performance. Loading and working with a huge Age in Blender takes a toll on your computer. Exporting small parts is much faster too.
If you,re doing work on just one part of your Age it makes sense to make that part a different page.
Also it lets you split the workload. You can have several people working on the same Age, each representing a different part.

Cyan made the City that way. Each page is a different part (ferry terminal, great stairs, Kahlo pub, courtyard, palace, museum, etc). The trick is careful positioning so there is no gap between parts when seen in the game. What you do is, at the limit of your first page, add an object that will be part of the second page. This ensures good positioning. Then move that object to the new page and keep building, using that object as reference.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Building