Tiling - Hexagon tiles

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tiling - Hexagon tiles

Postby Nadnerb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm

Even in your example Nadnerb, when you look at the faces in edit mode and you need to make out every individual hexagon tile you can't, this is where face merging would be useful, by merging the 6 segments (or 3 segments if made into quads) into a single face, other wise your brain constantly tricks you to seeing the wrong tiles and seeing cubes.
The picture I posted was taken in edit mode. I'm not having any brain tricks going on when looking at it, are you?

I'm taking it that you want something this-ish?
Show Spoiler
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Re: Tiling - Hexagon tiles

Postby Grogyan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:29 pm

Yeah, thats the effect i'm after.

Went back to just 1 tile and attempted the Fgon function, but got an error "Cannot make polygon with internal vertices".
With 3 tiles linked duplicated, same thing happens.

Edit 1:
Well that was dumb, hope that at some stage they'll make it more intuitive.

What I did is select 2 faces, then "Make Fgon", then another 2, "Make Fgon" and repeated until I couldn't go any further, then moved the centre vertice out towards the edge and that did it.

By the way, that demo pic Nadnerb looks really cool!

Edit 2:
Another question Nadnerb, when you did that demo pic, did you use circle or cylinder as the base mesh?

Reason is that I tend to make models outside of my Age, and then import them, in this case, when I imported this mesh I found that faces don't exist.
I thought when you used Fgon that you could use it to make faces.

The end result wil be simple, but getting there is half the fun and headache.

Edit 3:
Converged multiple posts

Edit 4:
I am using your method now for duplication as its always guaranteed to match up flush.
Last edited by Grogyan on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Grogyan

Previous

Return to Building