Can panic regions be dynamic?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Can panic regions be dynamic?

Postby belford » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:43 pm

This occurred to me when thinking about AtionSong's volcano design, but it will be important for everyone if we ever build multiplayer Ages. (It's relevant for timed events even in Uru:CC Ages.)

Can you say "Everyone in this region panic-links *at a particular time*"? That is, on an event in a Python script?

Imagine a bunch of players standing in the volcano when it erupts. Or, say, people standing in a vault door when it slides shut. Or even a configurable maze, and the controlling player builds a wall where you're standing. The easiest way to maintain game consistency in these cases is to panic-link everyone in the affected volume.
belford

Re: Can panic regions be dynamic?

Postby Aloys » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:02 pm

I remember asking that question a while ago but I don't think the answer has changed since: Yes, regions can be switched on and off. Although you will need to do it through some Python scripting and I have no idea how to do it..
Aloys

Postby Paradox » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:36 pm

If you need to link everyone out of an Age, the easiest way is to imitate the "Bahro Screech" of December '06. Just send a message to all of the clients in that Age telling them to link out.
Paradox

Postby belford » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 pm

But is that adaptable to this case? Can you send a message to a client saying "If you are in region X, link out?"

If that's a separate message from the game-state event -- the volcano erupting or whatever -- then you're tempting race conditions. Better to do everything with a single message.
belford

Postby Jojon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:58 pm

I am guessing it may be possible today, even without the ability to toggle active state for regions, by simply keeping the region some place far away and moving it into place, at the time of the event.
Jojon

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:58 am

You can send a direct message to another client which tells it to link. But that is not the way you want to implement it. You should use a Python trigger which makes each client link the local player. That is how the Bahro scream was done.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Return to Building