A cry for help (and of frustration)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

A cry for help (and of frustration)

Postby Kierra » Fri May 02, 2008 11:36 am

No disrespect to the tools development team, but the new plug-ins have essentially brought my progress to a screeching halt and the longer the issue goes unresolved, the less likely it is I'll ever finish my projects.

I've been having transparency issues since the plug-in update that gave us sound regions (sorry, can't remember the version number). A few people have made some suggestions, but either the solutions they give me are wrong, or I'm just not understanding what they're talking about. Which is all together likely.

I've tried figuring it out by myself, but frankly, I don't have a lot of time anymore to Age build, and its no fun anymore if I'm constantly frustrated every time I Write because of this one hang-up.

So I'm bowing to the inevitable, and officially declaring that I need help. I need someone to fix the problem, and hopefully tell me how they did it. Because I'm clueless at this point.

If anyone has the time to give me a hand I would most appreciate it.

~Kia
Kierra

Re: A cry for help (and of frustration)

Postby andylegate » Fri May 02, 2008 11:56 am

Wow.......that was version 1.0.0 so it has been a while.

Man Kierra, if I'd known you were still having issues with this, I would have jumped in (not that my help will do you any good).

Okay, do you know what version of the plugin you are using now? I'm using 1.3.2 (which is the latest that is in the trunk, not the 1.3.1 version as there's some problems with that one). And I know my transparancies work, as in Zephyr Cove, all those palm leaves in the palm trees are planes with transparent textures.

Exactly what is your problem that you are having? I can tell you how I'm doing my palm tree leaves, but I don't know if that will help you.

Okay, basically the palm tree tops are like a bunch of Mesh Planes that are bent, twisted, curved, you name it, to give that bushy look that palm trees have at the top.
Next, I took an image of a palm tree leaf that has a transparent back ground and used that as my texture. While in the Texture part of the Materials Lab, I've clicked on the buttons marked "Use Alpha" and the button next to the pic of the texture that just says "Alpha" to on.
Next, I UV Mapped the image to the plane.
Then I click on the little edit button while STILL in UV Face Select mode. When I do this, there is are tabs that are only available then called "Texture Faces" and "UV Calculation" Make sure you are on "Texture Faces"
There are 3 purple buttons there called "Opaque", "Add" and "Alpha", I click on the "Alpha" one.
Then in that same tab, and since this is a tree that you can see both sides of the mesh from, I click on the little button that says "Twosid" meaning Two Sided. And then last, I click on the orange button labled "Copy DrawMo" and that makes the plane double sided, and UV mapped the same on both sides.
Then the very, very last thing I do, is go back to Materials and in the tab called "Links and Pipelines" I click on the button that says "ZTransp" and in the box right next to it, I change it from 0 to either 2, 4, 6, or 8

That's all I do and my transparent meshes work fine.

One last note: for some reason, right now when we make changes to our Ages be they Sound, Light, or textures, when we re-export and then link in again, many times we still see or hear the same thing or problem. It's come to people's attention that if you make any changes, after you export, but before you link in, you need to go to your sav folder, and delete the save file for you Age. I think they were making a script fix for this, but I don't remember.

I hoped this help. The only other thing I can think of is, if I take a look at your files for you.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Kierra » Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Its the Ztranspancy bits I'm having trouble with. Before the updates to the plug-ins my transparencies were all fine, but after the plug in they're doing funny things. Its really hard to explain, but I'll try.

I have a tree line in the background that are made up of transperencies. In the center of the age I have a giant tree with limbs made of transparencies as well. If you were standing in front of that center tree with the tree line in the background, the treeline in the background shows through as though it was in the foreground, and the foreground transparencies show in the background. Yes, I know, confusing. But thats the best I can describe it, sorry. Its more of a "see for yourself" thing.

Here is the file: Greenwood Cottage

Please feel free to fix the problem if you can. I'm at my wits end with it, I just want to get past this road block. :lol:

The last time I updated my plug-ins was the one with sounds added. *shrug* I haven't had much time for age building lately, and besides I figured that if I couldn't understand THAT version of plug-in, I'd become even more confused by the changes in the newer plug-ins. :shock:

Also I didn't want to look like a great big dunce 'cause no one else was having issues :lol:

~Kia
Kierra

Postby andylegate » Fri May 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Okay, I'm downloading the Age, and I'll have a look see at it. Keep in mind though I'm using the latest plug in, and there have been a LOT of changes since then......that may even be your problem, you need to upgrade to the latest plugin, as from what I recall a lot new work in textures was done.....and this may even be a bug with your version of the plugin that has been fixed since then.....hence why you haven't seen anyone else having the problem...

We'll see. I'll take a look.
andylegate

Postby andylegate » Fri May 02, 2008 6:26 pm

OMG! O.O

Your Age wouldn't export.....ran out of memory!!! Wow! That's a LOT of planes...hehehe

Okay, I think I know what is wrong, and I think I can help you, but I"ll have to take pics to show you I think. Basically you were having a problem of the tree acting like a X-Ray machine.

I was having a problem like that with one of my Camp Bravo Ages.

So I have to run right now, but check back in the morning. I'll have something posted to help you out and I think it will fix your problem.

Still can't believe your Age ran my machine of 2 GB out of memory though...wow. Bet this Age is going to take a long time to load in Uru! hehe
andylegate

Postby Kierra » Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I've got some plans to fix the size/memory issue before I officially released the first version. ;)

Sorry you couldn't export...that is where you can really see the problem. Hm. Hopefully you can figure it out through blender though....

Thank you for looking at it for me...I look forward to your possible solution :D

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Kierra » Fri May 02, 2008 9:29 pm

If you want to try for a direct install, here are the .age files, etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?molkvehc0mz

Don't forget to put the sound fx files in the right folder

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Trylon » Fri May 02, 2008 11:34 pm

Kierra wrote:Its the Ztranspancy bits I'm having trouble with. Before the updates to the plug-ins my transparencies were all fine, but after the plug in they're doing funny things. Its really hard to explain, but I'll try.

Actually, that it worked well on the old plugin is more mysterious than that it doesn't work with the new one.
Especially considering that the tranparency support in the old version was just stitched onto the drawablespans code.

Do you still have some prp files that were made with the old plugin?
We might be able to extract some settings from it for you.

The last time I updated my plug-ins was the one with sounds added. *shrug* I haven't had much time for age building lately, and besides I figured that if I couldn't understand THAT version of plug-in, I'd become even more confused by the changes in the newer plug-ins. :shock:

I'm not sure of that.
I wrote the change you're having trouble with, and I don't even understand where the difference comes from.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Postby Kierra » Fri May 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Trylon wrote:Do you still have some prp files that were made with the old plugin?
We might be able to extract some settings from it for you.

Uuuh...probably not. If I recall correctly, somewhere along the line when I was updating to that plug-in I was told to delete all my old export files and make a new export. Or something like that...can't remember clearly. I *might* have an old backup on my external HD, but it'll take some digging. Do you want me to look for it?

I'm not sure of that.
I wrote the change you're having trouble with, and I don't even understand where the difference comes from.

Oh now thats comforting :lol:

~Kia
Kierra

Postby Trylon » Sat May 03, 2008 3:25 am

Kierra wrote:Uuuh...probably not. If I recall correctly, somewhere along the line when I was updating to that plug-in I was told to delete all my old export files and make a new export. Or something like that...can't remember clearly. I *might* have an old backup on my external HD, but it'll take some digging. Do you want me to look for it?

~Kia

It might be your best chance of figuring out where the problem is. So, yes, if possible, please look for them.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Next

Return to Building