importing USGS landscapes into blender

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

importing USGS landscapes into blender

Postby Metabasalt1 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:54 pm

I love hiking in SW Virginia, and I would very much like to move my Uru avatar around an actual Virginia landscape such as Dragon's Tooth near Roanoke. I downloaded an elevation file from the USGS website (seamless.usgs.gov), and imported the data into 3Dem (a freeware program from http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem). I then converted the file into a height jpeg file. I created a mesh in blender and used the height file to mold the mesh into a landscape. I have attached the height file jpeg to this post. I would like to know how to convert the blender file into an age. I am still learning blender and age creation.
My procedure which I will post soon should allow any of us to pick any actual landscape into an uru age.
Attachments
dtjpg2.JPG
dtjpg2.JPG (5.89 KiB) Viewed 6556 times
Metabasalt1

Re: importing USGS landscapes into blender

Postby Metabasalt1 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Here is the procedure that I used to build the landscape in Blender.
1) Go to seamless.usgs.gov.
2) Click view and download US data. I have not had much luck with the international elevation data.
3) The zoom tool is highlighted. Drag a box around the area of the US you are interested in. The screen refreshes.
4) Keep zooming in with the procedure in 3) until you see the area you are interested in.
5) Under downloads, Click on the Define Rectangular Download Area button.
6) Drag a box around the area you want to download. Do not make the box too big. An area the size of a mountain is good.
7) A new page will open (National Map Seamless Server Request Summary Page).
8) Click modify Data request.
9) Scroll down to the box checked National Elevation data (NED). Change ArcGrid to Geotiff with the pull down menu button.
10) Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Save changes and Return to summary.
11) Click Download.
12) Save the zipped file to disk (It will end up on your desktop).
13) Right click on the file on the desktop and extract to a new file on your hard drive. Click next and finish.
14) You now have elevation data, but it is not easy to open.
Making a height map
I use Esri's Arcview software with the spatial and 3d analyst, but this software is expensive. I found a freeware program called 3DEM that also works. You can download it for free from http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/3dem.
15) Install the 3dem software and run it. Select GeoTiff Dem and click ok.
16) Navigate to the folder with the GeoTiff file that you downloaded from the USGS seamless server.
17) Select Geocoordinates, lat-long Grid off.
18) Move the Box off the map.
19) Get rid of hill shading. Click Colorscale shaded relief. Set Shade depth from 100 to 0. Click ok.
20) Set Color Scale to a Grey scale. Click color scale, Modify scale. The color for the lowest elevation is selected. Slide each of the RGB sliders to zero. Then click on the next elevation, and move the sliders to 18, Click the next elevation, and move the sliders to 36. Continue up the elevations increasing the sliders by 18. You should save this file, so you do not have to do this again.
21. Click file, save map image. Click jpeg or bmp. You now have an exact height map that you can import into blender to create a landscape. Follow the procedure: Create Grid and add the image as texture in the from Noob to pro tutorial to generate the landscape.
Metabasalt1

Postby Robert The Rebuilder » Thu May 08, 2008 4:42 am

Great work, Metabasalt!

From here, you need to do the folowwing steps at a minimum to turn it into an age:

1. Adding a book: see this tutorial. It will also describe how to obtain a unique age sequence prefix.

2. Enable collision on your terrain object: see this tutorial

3. Insert a spawn point: see this tutorial

4. Export your age: see this tutorial

5. Adding your age via ULM: see this tutorial

Good luck!

P.S. To attach a .blend file to a forum post, add it to a Zip file, then attach the zip file. While .blend files are not allowed, .zip files are.
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can - here's how.

MOULagain KI# 1299

Myst Movie coming soon - spread the word!
Robert The Rebuilder

Postby Metabasalt1 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks Robert for the reply so fast! I have zipped the jpeg height file, blender file and the greyscale file for Dragon's Tooth, Va, and attached them to this post. If you want to import a usgs file into blender, instead of manually setting the RGB grey scale colors (which is a pain), you can just load my Greyscale file!
Attachments
dt3dem.zip
(62.72 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Metabasalt1

Postby Metabasalt1 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Fellow Uru fans. I am glad to see that you are viewing my posts, and have downloaded the dragon tooth and grayscale files. If you develop any ages based on actual landscapes, I would love to see them!
Metabasalt1
Metabasalt1

Postby adneycandy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:41 am

very nice
adneycandy

Return to Building