Environment Mapping

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Environment Mapping

Postby JulyForToday » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:03 am

Ive know about environment mapping in the plugin since it first became available, but i could never seem to get it to work before. Of course, a couple weeks ago I did, and it's really awesome to be able to use it. But one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't use up all 6 faces for the texture. It only seems to use the bottom left hand face, and it uses it to map every side of the cube. Plus there is no way to make the map stop for going crazy in Uru (if you walk up to it, then walk away, the entire map with actually shrink then scale itself in the other direction. Is there anything I'm missing?
JulyForToday

Re: Environment Mapping

Postby Trylon » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:07 am

Hmm, perhaps there is a problem with the uv mapping of your surface.

Can you make sure that the plane is UVmapped as a plane, not individual faces?

Edit:
Hm, working with environment maps myself now, and I can indeed tell that something is wrong with the map support, I'm gonna take a look at it now...

Edit2:
I think I worked it out - the way Cubic Environment Maps (CEMs) are rendered seems to depend on the shape of your object/plane.
If you have a central vertex in the middle, CEM movement seems to be way more intense around that spot.

I'd recommend using CEMs on a simple square surface, and maybe carefully expand from it once that works.
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Return to Building