Alphas

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm having trouble with alphas at the moment. I've been trying to make an alpha-enabled leaf texture, but have so far failed to get it to work. I'm using the GIMP latest version. I'm trying to save my images as .tga, but it always merges layers, saying TGA cant support them.

Help? :unsure:
Mystified Explorer

Postby J'anim Paedet » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:12 pm

I recommend (this is what I did for Terrati Lab) using the .PNG format instead. I don't have much experience with the Targa format, but if it doesn't support multiple layers, you probably want to steer clear of it. For me, as long as I stayed with PNG, transparency worked fine. Just be sure to add the "useAlpha" phrase to the beginning of the filename!
J'anim Paedet

Postby zib_redlektab » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:14 am

I'm not sure that png supports layers either, but as long as you save a source file (.xcf if you're using gimp), then export the png, you get the png with transparency, and if you have to edit anything just open the xcf again and mess with the layers.
Lurker extraordinaire!
http://www.zibland.com
zib_redlektab

Postby Mystified Explorer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 pm

Thankyou! I'll try this when I feel better (getting over flu atm) :D
Mystified Explorer

Postby Mystified Explorer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:51 pm

It works! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou! :D
Mystified Explorer

Postby J'anim Paedet » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:19 pm

Glad it works :)
Be warned, however, that for some strange reason some objects and materials will not be visible behind an alpha-textured object in Uru. I'd create a few 'test' objects (cubes, spheres, etc.), make sure they work, and clone everything off of them, just to be safe.
J'anim Paedet

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:53 pm

ok I'll be doing some more experimentation - it's mainly for tree leaves though so it should be ok :)
Mystified Explorer

Return to Building