Couple of 3ds Plasma plugin questions

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Couple of 3ds Plasma plugin questions

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:23 pm

TheMagician wrote:So D'Lanor could you tell me one or two steps that I have to do to access these DSL states for an object and modify them?

Sorry, I only know how to do that in Blender. And I just noticed there isn't even a complete tutorial for that. I believe you guys have already figured out how to create the Builtin prp file with a Python file for the age sdl hook. That is the first requirement. Some additional information about the sdl file is here (I assume that in 3ds the sdl file can be plain text without encryption).

The easiest method for animations with two states is to point your pythonfilemod to the global Python file xAgeSDLBoolRespond. Edit: And the pythonfilemod for your activator (if any) can be pointed to xAgeSDLBoolToggle.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:39 pm

K. A couple of things.

One. The Image Library has nothing to do with imagers. The Image Library is just that, a library of images that you've attached to it. This is what the linking panels and such are stored on in the GUI age file named GUI_District_bkBookImages.prp.

An imager needs a few things to make it workable. One, if it's an imager you want to upload images to, You'll need a logic modifier that's activated by a region sensor set to upon entry. The logic mod activates the python file that controls the imager. And of course an imager plane itself.

The plane you are using for your imager store can have the pythonfile and the logic mod attached to it. It needs a standard plasma material, with a dynamic texture map plasma layer. In the layer's dynamic map settings you set the size to 1024x1024 and choose the use alpha box.

EDIT: For those using 3dsMax, and want to learn how to use stuff like GUIs, and python file stuff I can set up a tutorial on the wiki tonight that'll go over everything. I had to chug my way through converting ChloesHoodOffice to MOULagain format, so I kind of got a good idea now how it all works. The Plasma Plugin documentation from Cyan helped ALOT.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby TheMagician » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your explanation D'Lanor and GPNMilano!
It's 3 o'clock in the morning here, so I'll go to bed now and have a look at it next week.
I'll post how it worked out.

And GPNMilano: tutorials for GUIs and Python in 3D Max are VERY much apprechiated. I haven't got my head around either of them. I don't even know how to show a simple GUI overlay. Well, I think the Plasma Plugin Documentation is very good in some parts (e.g. animations) but expecially for GUIs there's just screenshots of the different panels but no explanations on how to set things up.

It's great to see that other people are working with the plugin and are sharing their knowledge. :)
TheMagician

Postby Agenotfound » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:44 am

@TheMagician Sorry for not responding earlier but I was in a 18 hours trip to Japan and will not be able to answer in any detailed way about the plasma plugin for the next two week.

but I see that your are in good hands so no worries !

and I would also be very interested in a GUI tutorial, it's always nice to come one day and have everything already worked out ! :D
Agenotfound

Postby diafero » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:40 am

Btw, the Python file for an imager like the one in Kaelis Pub is xSimpleImager, not some nb01 thingy.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby TheMagician » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 am

Can anybody tell me how to set up the "Particle Flock" Component?
First of all am I right in thinking that you can use this to create for example fireflies that orbit around a common center point?
And then what do these settings mean? Have you found settings that give you consistend results?
Right now all I get is either totally uniform movement (i.e. a line of moving particles)
or uncontrollable chaos with particles flying everywhere.

Would be great to collect some info on that.
TheMagician

Postby diafero » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 am

Btw, does anyone know what that "unleash satan" thing *actually* does?
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby andylegate » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 am

diafero wrote:Btw, does anyone know what that "unleash satan" thing *actually* does?

It deletes your Max Scene files, .age and .prp files, and then uninstalls Max............

Nah, I have no idea, haven't tried it yet.....and with Cyan's sense of humor, not sure if I want to..... :?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Zrax » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 am

Last time I tried it, it didn't seem to actually do anything... It's probably just an inside joke or something ;)
Zrax

Postby teedyo » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 pm

diafero wrote:Btw, does anyone know what that "unleash satan" thing *actually* does?

Somebody, somewhere hinted.. ...err, guessed that it called up the 'live' previewer that never worked correctly. Can't locate the reference 'tho.
teedyo

PreviousNext

Return to Building