3D Max Plugin Video Tutorials

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: 3D Max Plugin Video Tutorials

Postby TheMagician » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I'm glad you like the videos :)

@andylegate: Thanks a lot for putting the videos on the GoMa site. I've read many of your tutorials during the preparation for these videos. Great work!
TheMagician

Postby Aloys » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:12 am

Thank you for those tutorials Magician; they're a very useful introduction to Max.. I haven't used it in a while and it helps me get back in easier. :)
Aloys

Postby Karkadann » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 am

I wonder If there is a downloadable 3D Studio Max 7 Bible e-book.pdf file out their someplace that may be helpful
Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby andylegate » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:48 am

Search Amazon.com

I did and they do have Max 7 Bibles still being sold. Some brand new, some used. Some of the used ones are priced at under a dollar. :D
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby TheMagician » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

The tutorial on particles needs some more time.

However, I've added a new category to the site: "3D Max Modeling Tips for Age Creators".
Right now there are 3 quick tutorials in there which don't deal with features of the Plasma Plugin but are some general modeling tips for 3D Max newcomers. I tried to explain workflows which might be useful when creating an age.
-Creating a banister using the spacing tool
-Creating a path on a terrain
-Creating 3D models from simple shapes
TheMagician

Postby Metabasalt1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks to the magician for some wonderful tutorials. I just finished setting up 3ds max 7 on my machine and exporting my first test age. I ran into some problems that I would like to share, so others will not have the problems i did. First of all, in the PlasmaMAX2.ini file, x must =0 and y must = 30. My values got changed somehow, and i could not do a plasma export of my age. Secondly, I set up the testage.age file with notepad. It looked like everything was ok in windows, but when i went to assign pageinfo components to my objects, I could not fine the testage or mainpage options. Shelling out to DOS, I noticed that my testage.age file was actually testage.age.txt! So I just did a ren testage.age.txt testage.age command, and then I could assign the pageinfo components to my objects.
Metabasalt1

Postby andylegate » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:48 am

You can use Notepad and not have to go in and change the name, as long as you do the following:

When you go to save your .age file, make sure you click on "Save As", then in the window that pops up, click on the Save As Type and change it from Text Document (*.txt), to All Files (*.*), then type in the name of your .age file (yourage.age).

As long as you save it that way, Max will access it just fine every time.
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Juriell » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi!
I'm new to age building and have a dream to build a very enjoyable age. But the problem is that i can't get python working with 3D max.
I was using this tutorial: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gbBiFy6OkDcJ:wiki.openuru.org/index.php%3Ftitle%3DMaking_Linking_Books_and_Journals_In_Max+myst+online+3dsmax+python+folder&cd=4&hl=lv&ct=clnk&gl=lv&client=firefox-a
There is an "export Python folder for max" mentioned but i cant understand what is meant.
So i tried 3 options (suppose "PathToMyAge"is the folder where i export my created age):
1) i placed the MyAge.py, MyAge.pyc files to the "PathToMyAge" folder and started 3d max 7. I added the Python component to an object but the Python file drop down was empty.
2) i made a "Python" folder inside the "PathToMyAge" folder and put both file there and repeated. Again nothing.
3) i tried even putting my both files into the "dat" folder. Again nothing but the program was also not crashing.

Right now i'm out of options.
Can someone help, please?
Last edited by Juriell on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juriell

Postby ametist » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 am

You want a Python-folder inside your export-folder, along with the dat-folder. I suppose you have defined the name of your export-folder in your PLASMA2.ini.
This pyhtonfile inside max shall be set as 'global', as mentioned inthis wiki-article

Good luck!
ametist

Postby Juriell » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 am

ametist wrote:You want a Python-folder inside your export-folder, along with the dat-folder. I suppose you have defined the name of your export-folder in your PLASMA2.ini.
This pyhtonfile inside max shall be set as 'global', as mentioned inthis wiki-article

Good luck!

I think i have to specify my problem. My export folder is defined correctly. I have also linked to my age before i wanted to add Python components.
The main problem is that after adding the Python component to my object i cant choose any Python file. the list is blank.

Thanks for support.
Juriell

PreviousNext

Return to Building