Water Texture

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Water Texture

Postby Owehn » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

I'm not sure if this belongs here (feel free to move or delete it if inappropriate), but I didn't see any forum devoted to texturing.

I've been going through my old photographs and found one that I took specifically to be the texture of a water surface. The view is from almost directly above, at sunset. A small version is attached below (pm with your email if you want the large one).
Attachments
Water.jpg
Water.jpg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Owehn

Re: Water Texture

Postby Kato » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:10 pm

:D Cool. Almost perfect. I'll make it seamless if you like!

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Jojon » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Nice.

A related question (which I guess should really be in the Programmers section, but...): Have our dark masters of reverse engineering found any clue about the variables and flags to define, in order to get textures scrolling? :7
Jojon

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Animated Textures are very high on the TODO list.

We know mostly how they work, we just aren't sure how to get them tied in with Blender and how to generate some of the variables.
Paradox

Postby Jojon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:26 pm

Paradox wrote:Animated Textures are very high on the TODO list.

We know mostly how they work, we just aren't sure how to get them tied in with Blender and how to generate some of the variables.
Great news!
Are the variables attached to the material or the texture instance? I am guessing the former, so that one can reuse a single copy of the texture in graphics mem, with different variables (obviously they do not belong to the object, or you'd not be considering the issue). Until I know what other options you are pondering, my vote (however nothing it is worth :) is on making it something you set in the scripts - even the initial values.
Jojon

Postby Paradox » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:14 pm

Well it's a bit more complicated than that :P

You have a material, which references one or more layers (Plasma allows you to have multiple layers/textures on an object). Each layer references a texture image, and sets specific flags and properties for that layer instance (the animation flags are some of the layer properties).
Paradox

Postby mar » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm

When I saw the watertexture I must think on a site with good pictures usable for textures. There are also some pictures of waterplanes. This is the http :arrow: http://www.cgtextures.com/

Mar
mar

Postby Owehn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 pm

Wow, the license page makes it sound like we can use those textures in Uru without worrying!
Owehn

Postby Jojon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:03 pm

Paradox wrote:Well it's a bit more complicated than that :P

You have a material, which references one or more layers (Plasma allows you to have multiple layers/textures on an object). Each layer references a texture image, and sets specific flags and properties for that layer instance (the animation flags are some of the layer properties).

Yes, I don't see a problem there. :) I have not read up on Python, but wouldn't you basically "just" need something like a "PtMatProps" structure, possibly with "PtLayerProps" as daughters?

There are actually reuseable materials, right? -or is there a complete material definition for every object?

(Gotta take the opportunity to thank you guys for your hard work. :)
Jojon

Postby Nadnerb » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:17 pm

Yes, I don't see a problem there. :) I have not read up on Python, but wouldn't you basically "just" need something like a "PtMatProps" structure, possibly with "PtLayerProps" as daughters?

No, not really. That's python. Plasma does not run on python, it is controlled by python. The layers and such being talked about are part of the model files. A completely proprietary file format that is not documented. (except for the stuff that's been hacked out of it)
Live KI: 34914 MOULa KI: 23247 Gehn KI: 11588 Available Ages: TunnelDemo3, BoxAge, Odema
Nadnerb

Next

Return to Building