A little glimpse=)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: A little glimpse=)

Postby N. Sigismund » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:54 am

By the way, you can still find trials of 3DS Max 7 and 8 on the internet. Both work for plugin purposes.

When you export something (say in an .obj file, which is the best for single-asset exporting) from 3DS Max, it should include the UV map by default. You could also export a .3ds file or a .FBX file and Blender will probably be able to import happily.

Of course, when Cyan releases the plugin source it would probably take less than a month to get versions of their plugin out, either for Max 6 or Max 2011. But we just need that source, and that is going to take quite a while if all things remain constant. Bear in mind it's been over six months since we got the binaries. We're all in for the long haul. :P
For reference:
IC: Nye Morgan
OOC: Sigismund, Nye, Huw Dawson
N. Sigismund

Postby Szark » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks. As I am only getting into his myself I really don't have an understanding if those poly counts are low or high or just right. From memory I think an age shouldn't really exceed 50,000 ploys. So from that calculation they could be about right but confirmation of this would be nice.
Szark

Postby Chacal » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:07 am

Question for writers: looking at the gazebo picture above, if I wanted to get the same lighting effect in Blender, how should I do that? I see several solutions in the tutorials, vertex painting, light baking, etc, but I don't know which one to use.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Paradox » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Chacal wrote:Question for writers: looking at the gazebo picture above, if I wanted to get the same lighting effect in Blender, how should I do that? I see several solutions in the tutorials, vertex painting, light baking, etc, but I don't know which one to use.

You almost definitely want a lightmap for the floor and the steps in order to achieve those shadows from the pillars.

As for the pillars, you might be able to do it with either the lamp itself, or fake it with vertex painting or a blend texture. Lightmaps are a bit overkill for something like that.
Paradox

Postby Albanvs » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:20 pm

Alright, I've downloaded and installed blender and then did some importing. the only snag I ran into was that large cube thats in the center of the viewport. Is that standard? So far its looking like its importing okay and scaling nicely. I just have to figure out how to reapply the textures.
Albanvs

Postby Egon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:20 am

Albanvs wrote:the only snag I ran into was that large cube thats in the center of the viewport

Blender at startup inserts on default: one cube, one camera and one light.
You can delete them by presing "a" (to select all. Selected objects will become pink.) and "x" (x is for delete).

Doing that before importing stuff will probpalby help ;)
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Albanvs » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:57 pm

the cavern copy.jpg
Cavern Walkway
the cavern copy.jpg (503.22 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
corridor copy.jpg
A Corridor
corridor copy.jpg (509.48 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
cavern_lamps copy.jpg
Cave Dwelling
cavern_lamps copy.jpg (597.58 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Here are some more assets I've been working on. Most of them are currently being reworked to keep the aesthetic and rustic quality. If you see me in the Cavern staring at a wall I'm taking notes :)
Last edited by Albanvs on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Albanvs

Postby Albanvs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:04 am

Some more things
Attachments
ballistrade_01 copy.jpg
Wrought Iron
ballistrade_01 copy.jpg (583.9 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
imager_2 copy.jpg
Imager
imager_2 copy.jpg (628.59 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
new_gaz 2 copy.jpg
Reworked Structure
new_gaz 2 copy.jpg (290.86 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Albanvs

Postby Deledrius » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:23 am

Gorgeous!!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:40 am

Wed Nov 03, 2010

So you are coming back to this project after a 10 year break? Impressive. :D
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Building