A little glimpse=)

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

A little glimpse=)

Postby Albanvs » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:38 am

Hi all!

I'm new here so I will introduce myself as Albanvs. I'm a huge fan of Uru and hope to help contribute to writing ages. I am a 3D modeler and texture artist and work with 3DS Max and Photoshop. My main focus has been on architecture but I'm also moving into environments. Here a few concepts that I'm currently working on. My goal is to create a series of assets that anyone can use for Age creation. Hope you enjoy=)

Albanvs

Re: A little glimpse=)

Postby dendwaler » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:39 am

Wow!
That is stunning beautifull.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope to see a lot of work from you.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Egon » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:44 am

Wow, nice :)
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Postby Szark » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:56 am

Stunning work both in modelling and texturing, plus the intent makes it even more stunning. Out of interest what ploy count do these run at?

I read in another thread (sorry can't find the link) regarding a repository of base models like this that people could download and use in their ages (for consistency and time sake). Personally I find this idea to be a wise and a helpful one.
Szark

Postby Chacal » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:17 am

:shock:
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby tangara » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:58 pm

I'm impressed ! :o
tangara

Postby rustee » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Well those don't look like engine renderings to me... but nevertheless the textures are really nice! Keep it up!
rustee

Postby Albanvs » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:24 am

Thank you all for your warm compliments and welcome...I really appreciate them alot!=)

Szark the poly count on the pillared structure is at around 1200 polys and the Basin is at a rough 900 polys...the cut out creating most of the poly count.I did find the repository so as soon as I organize things a bit I will start uploading for builders to use. I'm sure to get some useful feedback on how well these meshes will work out. I have to admit that I have no real formal training at this. I'm mostly self taught. I've read that a lot of you use Blender so I'm also interested to see how importing goes. Since I'm using 3DS Max 6 I can't use Cyan's Max plugin as its for version 7. Maybe its time I get Blender savvy?=)
Rustee is right in that these aren't rendered using the game engine.I have yet to try these meshes in the engine. I'm sure there will be some adjustments to be made. Much to do and learn. For rendering I used Vue 4. I use Vue to conceptualize possible lighting scenarios and to see how the textures look. I'm using a texture resolution of 1024x1024 and am working my way backwards toward 512 and lower. I spend a lot of time in the cavern and other places getting a feel for the style and taking notes on how things are meshed and textured.

TONS OF QUESTIONS

My question for those that use Blender is, if you import a textured 3ds format will you have to re map the mesh or will it import mapped?

Are there any scaling issues?

What kinds of texture formats are used in Blender, e.g .jpg, .targa, .dds w/mip mapping etc.?

Do animations such as doors opening, waving flags and rotating objects get have to be redone when importing?

Thats all I have for now. Many thanks again! In the next few days I'll be upload. I hope this will be of help and look forward to helping in anyway I can!
Looking forward to building with you all soon! Take Care!
Albanvs

Postby dendwaler » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:37 am

for textures i mainly use jpg and png, other formats as targa are possible however.

About your importing Questions, I will have to try it out.
I never imported from 3D max, because I am a Blender user, and did not need any import from 3dmax.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Egon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:04 am

I'm still a begining writer, but I can answer couple of questions:

Albanvs wrote:Are there any scaling issues?

Game avatar is about the size of cylinder which has about 2 blender units in diameter and about 6 blender units high.
Some createor prefer to use 6.5 or 7 units of heigh to avoid colisions issues in doors etc.
I have no idea how this recalculates to Max units.

Albanvs wrote:Do animations such as doors opening, waving flags and rotating objects get have to be redone when importing?

At this point of time only curve animations are supported (no armature/bone mased animation ;( ).
Egon #2052375
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon
Egon

Next

Return to Building