Shadow Maps & Light Fluctuations

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Shadow Maps & Light Fluctuations

Postby JulyForToday » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 pm

Mk.. just thought this would be a good place to ask how to get something like Jalak's shadow maps to work. The shadows of the tree-tops 'cast' (are mapped) on both the pillars and avatars, and I'm really not sure how to accomplish that sort of feat using a shadow map (even if the plugin could do it). How would it work? Would each object need a texture layer for the map? or would it be universally mapped onto all objects in the scene (how would you do that?) The Cleft has a simple shadow map for the tree (probably just a decal with the shadow map on it). But the ones like in Jalak would be great to know how to do.

I talked about it here, but using a technique similar to this, could we apply a map on the entire age that could then (if animated or something) increase and decrease the map's intensity while scrolling, and in essence make an effect like the one in Revelation where shadows and light fluctuations move around in the age.
JulyForToday

Re: Shadow Maps & Light Fluctuations

Postby belford » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:47 pm

I assume that the same "projection" mechanism in Plasma is responsible for the GZ blue beam. And... I'm sure there are other examples. Oh, the Payiferen light-spots, duh. And Gahreesen has some moving projected shadows as well -- look at the floor of the entrance courtyard.

All these effects have the property that they project onto any surface in the Age, including players.

If I wanted the overall light quality of an Age to change, I'd have a global light source get brighter and dimmer. But projection could certainly be used for environmental effects.
belford

Postby JulyForToday » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:41 pm

I always wondered about the Great Zero Neutrino beam and how it worked. Any ideas on how we can utilize this projection mechanism?
JulyForToday

Postby Paradox » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:28 pm

The Great Zero beam uses a Limited Directional Light (plLimitedDirLightInfo). I think we're well on our way to being able to do something of the sort, the problem would be in animating the rotation.
Paradox

Return to Building