Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby Karkadann » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:53 am

It looks perfect Ehren If its OK with the Relativity Team I would like to get Diafero to do a quick update and perhaps add Ehren to the Credits under coding and programing if Ehren is ok with it

Thanks in advance

I'll try and think up a Relativity text file for the age info folder in the mean time

edit to correct
Last edited by Karkadann on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Ehren » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Karkadann wrote:It looks perfect Ehren If its OK with the Relativity Team I would like to get Diafero to do a quick update and perhaps add Ehren to the Credits under coding and programing if she's ok with it

I'm OK with it if someone wants to. But maybe my name would make more sense under "special thanks" than "coding and programing" since it was rather minimal programing given the scope of what the entire age needed. Then again, I don't know how much each person on the lists did.

If you care to know, I'm not a she, but I'm not trying to get an apology.
Ehren

Postby Karkadann » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 pm

Ok "special thanks" it is, I just wanted to make sure everybody that contributed gets credit for their contribution.
Now I guess we just wait for the OK from the team and Diafero's to do the appropriate updates
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:03 pm

I'd definitely like to see some okay from the team before doing an update to the age.

I could give now a long answer which explains how cameras in Relativity must work and why they are limited in functionality, but judging from what happend when I gave a long answer, I prefer a short answer now:
Yes, the ability to look up and down has been turned off.

The slightly longer version of this is that the camera ought not to work at all in Relativity. I'm serious. Uru''s camera control goes totally nuts when the avatar does not face upwards anymore. There's only one kind of camera that can deal with this (I don't know the details here, it's somehow attached to the avatar, to it changes direction accordingly). This camera does not have a first-person mode, nor does it deal with colliders in the surroundings - it just rushes through all the walls. The fact that Relativity seems to have, in all four (!) "directions", first-person cameras and a camera avoiding collisions, is the result of some really great programming by tachzusammn. I mean, I wrote lots of weird Python stuff for Uru to extend the basic KI from Uru:CC with all the functionality that it has now - and still I am in total awe that he managed to get the camera working that well, not to even mention all the other scripting he did for this age. Thinking about how complex this must be - it's plainly mind-blowing.
/me raises his hat

(Sorry, tachzusamm, for explaining this for you - but I felt it should be said)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby tachzusamm » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 am

Thanks diafero for explaining the camera details. You are absolutely correct.

Oh, and the Journal file updates look nice. Go ahead.
(This is still a community project.)
tachzusamm

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 am

Oh, and (sorry for double-posting) I forgot to mention that I truly love the background story you wrote, Karkadann.
Last time I read it I was not really focused on reading - because work was waiting for me - but now I've read it again, and I'm impressed. This really gives Relativity a sense, and it adds to the age.
tachzusamm

Postby Karkadann » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Thank you.
I wanted to explain how Relativity could have turned up in the world of D'ni, so I used a suggestion of one of the older characters in the Myst saga and his age writing beliefs.
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 am

The new journal is on DI, it will appear in UAM soon.

Thanks a lot to all contributors :)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby iain » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 am

Hi all,

How are things going with Relativity?

I was in contact with tachzusamm towards the end of last year, initially via the Obduction kickstarter, and I created some sound effects for the (very impressive!) Relativity Age.

Although I synced the effects to a gameplay video that tachzusamm sent me, I'm not sure if they got as far as being implemented in the game. I understand that requires quite a lot of scripting work.

I'm keen to add some finishing touches that I can only do once the sounds are auditioned in context.

Is there any news on the status of this project?

Thanks! :D
iain

Postby Karkadann » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:42 pm

No news for a while but I dd have an idea for a prp file. Get the Avatar Assets from here
http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... _And_Tools
and set them up like they are in the drawing and have them appear when you press a button or solve a puzzle of some sort
perhaps an Easter egg from entering the wrong puzzle solution.

I could probably export Relativity to a OBJ file from blender, import it to Max, set up the AV's like the drawing, delete the Relativity mesh, leaving behind the AV's and export that.
but im gonna need a trigger of some sort and someplace appropriate to put it, that's not to uncomfortable :D :lol:
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to Building