Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby Deledrius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 am

Chacal wrote:
All we need now is a David Bowie avatar.

Don't forget the babe.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:15 am

Chuckles58 wrote:It would be interesting to see it in its final form, but I actually prefer the primary colors of red, green, blue and yellow to show how amazing it is.

I prefer it textured, but the Age could use three/four different textures for each subworld.
Your Age is even better when it has both good mechanisms and good textures.
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:07 am

Deledrius wrote:
Chacal wrote:

Don't forget the babe.

What babe?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Chuckles58 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:25 am

Here's a David Bowie song playing to a version of Escher's Relativity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCsYXk9hik

And here's another that has a baby and a babe, so I think this is the one Chacal was referring to from "Labrynth":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufrCIwNk1zc&NR=1
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby Deledrius » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 am

Karkadann wrote:
Deledrius wrote:
Chacal wrote:

Don't forget the babe.

What babe?

The babe with the power.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 am

If we are to play a Labyrinth Age, as much as I like David Bowie I'd rather look at Jennifer Connely's avatar. 8-)
Plus Bowie's hairdo.. even for someone like me who grew up in the 80s, that's too much. :lol:

Karkadann wrote:OK whats the next step in turning this in to a community project like Tech suggested?

Well, as with all community projects all you need is a lot of money; I mean a lot of motivation. ;)
Make a list of what you need, get some people interested. There's enough work for several people: with all the modelling, textures, code, sound..
At the very least it looks like Tach could be interested in contributing.
Also you might want to start a new thread for this, to centralize the various infos and discussions, including links pointing to the various old threads.
But before anything else can happen you need to start with the design and answer a couple questions:
* What is outside of the Escher drawing? (that drawing only show part of the world, what will the rest of that Age be?
* How big do you want that Age to be?
* How and where do avatars switch from one plane to another? (transporters are not in Escher's original art)

Sirius wrote:I guess "Transporters" are animated subworlds you use before entering the main subworld ?

Indeed, that would make sense.
Aloys

Postby Karkadann » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 pm

How much to you think something like this would cost to produce Aloys if I just wanted three small gardens one in each plane

Here are some of the other threads on the same basic topic

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4326

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=3923

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2442

http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4082
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Aloys » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 am

"Cost"? I don't know, I was kidding about the money. ;) But, if all you want to add are the 3 gardens that we can see in the drawing, that wouldn't be too long to do (if the gardens aren't too big). Two or three motivated people could do that in around a month.
But if you want that Age to be complete, as I mentionned you will need more than that. Escher's drawing only show part of the place. What's behind the doors? What's behind the camera?
As Tach's test Age shows, with what we currently have the Age would be half empty:
http://www.didanka.com/huru/Relativity%20in%20URU%20-%20the%20first%20technical%20test.flv_snapshot_00.18_%5B2011.08.30_13.46.32%5D.jpg
Do you see all that black sky? This need to be completed somehow. This is where the project starts to become a bit more complex.
I see a couple solutions:
- We add a big sky and make it an 'open' Age. IMO that would be a bit boring to look at. (and even if we do that, we still need to extend the existing stairs and floors, so that they lead somewhere).
- We copy and mirror the existing part of the Age, to make it a closed 'box' place. That might sound like a 'cheap' solution, but I think it could work well.
- Or we design the missing areas from scratch. That would be more interesting (and more fun to do) but that would require much more work. But it is still possible. It depends if you want to follow closely Escher's work or if you want to do something a little more original, like you did with the Maze Walker.

All in all this is not a very big Age; which makes it possible to do something nice and detailed; and not turn it into a 3 years long adventure. There is potential here for a very nice little project. If you and Tachzusamm are interested in doing the modelling and coding I can help with the textures, and some additionnal modelling.
Later somebody will need to take care of the sound and the lighting. (because the Age is pretty small we could go with lightmaps; that would look nicer). But that's for later.
Aloys

Postby dendwaler » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:05 am

This is realy a great concept whit an awfull result achived by Tachzusamm.
I think for texturing many of original Escher drawings can be used as blending "masks" for textures.
this for instance on a floor.
EDIT: Sorry it is bigger then i thought it was.
and other's as paintings on the wall.
A kind of Museum of art , which is art in itself.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:30 pm

OK what about the three gardens each one a bit different and behind the doors a few D'ni like caverns/art museum, a kind of tribute to Escher's work. I dont wanna make it to complex Ecsher's work is not easy to emulate it was difficult enough to reproduce. I also did not wanna stray to far from the original drawing and would like to keep the intersection as close to the original as possible. But at the same time I would like to make it an intersection to three different worlds which is where the gardens and caverns come into play, three different types of gardens and some caverns leading up to them from the doors, a place where you could get lost among the beauty of all the people who contributed, someplace where you can look at other works of Escher in subterranean garden/cavern/art museum . Something M. C. Escher would be proud of.

Personally I have been working on this one for so long I would be happy just to see the small age as is on Drizzle and if someone wanted to add a garden or a plant or tree we could always throw that in later.
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to Building