Escher's Relativity is doable

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Escher's Relativity is doable

Postby Aloys » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:01 pm

Sure, better to start small.
For a start we could indeed just try to complete the Age as it is right now: take what you have modelled so far, complete the gardens, add textures, light, sounds, and of course transporters. That would make for a nice start.
As I said I'd be interested in doing the texturing. I kinda like the picture Tach posted (here), the earth tones are quite fitting. What do you think?
And I could do some additionnal modelling for the gardens if you need help here. You need three gardens, do you have any idea what you want them to look like? (the Escher pictures doesn't show much..)
Aloys

Postby Karkadann » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:17 pm

Well the version im working on is halve done, as far as sub worlds, I have "a" solution to the camera angle although its still stuck to the z plane its easer to navigate and it will do until Tach is finished. I kinda like the texture it has, each plane is represented by one of the three primary colors although. I dont wanna get far away from the origional drawing also wanted to say away from Cyan textures or meshes and have been able to avoid it thus far. I have never realy done gardens and am not sure what Im looking for. Perhaps a forest or swamp type garden or something "inspired" by not taken from one of the many gardens in the Myst saga. Im open to any ideas if you have some pictures of your work, Id love to see some of it.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby tachzusamm » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:42 am

Well, I've been quiet a while now, but there is progress. :)

First to answer a question: Yes, Transporters are no part of Plasma - I created them just from scratch, using slightly modified PyPRP exporter scripts. And Python, plus lots of fine adjusted regions, walk blockers, and empties as hooks.

While waiting for diafero to return from his vacation (he's back now), I updated the Python code a bit, and tried to follow some suggestions or wishes mentioned in this thread. So, now there are 2 additional Transporters installed, and it's possible to walk through the Age in a loop - and I tried to keep the original art as close as possible, as Karkadann said.
AlcScript is now about 3800 lines in total (well commented), there are additional features (I don't want to reveal too much), and there are many colliders installed, to protect the player from falling off ledges. And again many cleanups of the meshes, and I tried to get the naming logical to make it easier to follow the logic when you want to add additional objects. Oh, and I already made some "Garden Planes", to investigate how they can be aligned. Currently just flat, to get an idea.
Doors and trees are still something to add, or other objects you can imagine.

Plus, I must admit that I could not stop myself from starting to texture it - it was boring to test it with plain primary colors.
I absolutely wanted it to be nicely textured, mostly seamless and fine-grained. And with the impression of natural lighting.

Here are some screenshots:
http://www.texturu.org/share/images/Texturing_V64.png
http://www.texturu.org/share/images/Tex ... _Color.png

Yes, it already has a complete UV-unwrap of all objects, and lightmaps made with Ambient Occlusion. True lightmaps can be added later when the light setup is complete.
I'm currently unsure where I should place light sources; either a single sun, or would it look better it we put 3 different suns in it, one for each SubWorld, and each shines from the gardens into the house? Something to discuss...

There are still some issues:
- Because the rooms in the house are really small and the walls are narrow, I had to use cams with a very wide angle. This because the only working camera type, "simple", cannot avoid collision with walls. It looks okay now, but it still runs through wall sometimes. Sorry, but I fear there's no final solution for this.
- First Person mode does not work in rotated SubWorlds. To please first person players as well, I switch to a FP-like camera when you do a transit from main world to a SubWorld, if you were in FP mode on transit. So you can switch between the modes only in the main world.
- Panning in the SubWorlds works, but X and Z vectors are inverted / interchanged. A bit confusing, but I don't know how to solve it.

I'm going to test it on the Deep Island soon, let's hope multiplayer behaviour works as expected.
If it does, I will release the current status, as Age files and the Blender sources.

After that I will be eagerly awaiting what contributors will add. 8-)

~Tach
tachzusamm

Postby dendwaler » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:36 am

Awwwwfull. (edit: Hmm , sorry i meant the contrary , :oops: unlucky typo)
Absolutely stunning work.!
Besides visiting the age, i am realy curious about all the sources.
I aspect to learn a lot from what you have achieved!
Thx for sharing that !
Last edited by dendwaler on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Aloys » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:40 am

Very nice progress. :D

Textures:
I like where you are going. While the primary colors setup helps differentiate the planes, I prefer the earth tones colors quite a bit. ;) And even if they are of similar colors, having 3 different textures does help.
Escher's drawing doesn't give too many indications about textures, and even less about colors; but something along those lines looks good to me.

lightmaps made with Ambient Occlusion. True lightmaps can be added later when the light setup is complete.
I'm currently unsure where I should place light sources; either a single sun, or would it look better it we put 3 different suns in it, one for each SubWorld, and each shines from the gardens into the house?

The AO really adds a lot. :)
About the lighting I would definitely go with 3 suns. To me the 3 planes are 3 different worlds, so it would make sense that they each have their own sun. (so that means 3 directionnal lights with softvolumes properly separating them.) But then we have the question of the lighting inside the 'house'. And again to solve that we must know how to design the missing parts of the building. (see my 2nd post on page 2).
If the building is 'open' then we have the lights from the suns coming in. But if the building is closed we will need some light inside. I guess that problem can be solved later though..

I'll start working on the gardens, and see what I can come up with.
Aloys

Postby Chacal » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:11 pm

This is simply awesome!
Well done Tach.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:13 pm

Good job! I can't wait to see this in a multiplayer environment.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Chuckles58 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:53 pm

I'll hold up the "Applause" sign. This is really shaping up to be a fantastic age.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:53 am

Thanks for all your enthusiasm; this is what Age writing makes not only be fun, but satisfying too. 8-)

If you're interested in how those Transporters work, here's a short description:
Show Spoiler

I will include this in the Blender file for reference as well.

(Edit: some small updates to reflect the current status)
Last edited by tachzusamm on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tachzusamm

Postby Karkadann » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 am

Wow awesome I like the earthy tones with the different textures , and Its coming along wonderfully, I cant wait to wander threw it in a multi player environment I was kinda hoping to get a bunch of people together to pose as the people in the actual drawing for the linking image, but all in good time.

again thanks for the help on this one, some of the best ages are a collaboration of several people I hope to use this as an example
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to Building