Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

Postby Samy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:54 am

Now I put the content from the 4 downloaded files in the files from the Deep Island Shard. Where can I find now the Age SOMEWHERE? In a Relto-Book or in the Nexus? :?

Thanks for help! :)

EDIT:
I Think, it still won't work. :?
Samy

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:09 am

You cannot add fan ages to your Deep Island installation. And you really should not try, because if something would slip through the integrity protection it may even damage the shard's vault.

This download should be used for offline installations only.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby diafero » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:22 am

I was finally able to download and install the age on the Shard :) . However, the age consistency check noticed that the age is referencing a sound file called "versantfaamb.ogg" which is not part of the 7z file, so it is currently missing. Any chance you could upload it somewhere ( ;-) ) so the age is complete?
On the other hand, the following files are part of the 7z file, but not used by the age:
'blzewind1.ogg', 'gouttecav1.ogg', 'laserglajp1.ogg', 'porteglajp1.ogg', 'thunderjp1.ogg', 'tictac1.ogg', 'videjp3.ogg'

Now I put the content from the 4 downloaded files in the files from the Deep Island Shard. Where can I find now the Age SOMEWHERE?
I wonder why I even keep writing stuff, nobody is reading it anyway... the login page for DI, which you see on *each and every login*, says (emphasis mine):
Please do not manually modify your client in any way, all the ages are managed by the server!

and I keep repeating that you must not make any modifications to your client, because consistency of everyone joining the Shard is crucial, and we are already pushing the technical boundaries in several ways (that is, using Uru in a way it was not intended to be used). The *only* exception is installing Myst V ages. As D'Lanor mentioned, the consistency checks I implemented should guarantee that, whatever you do, the worst thing that happens is you can't log in anymore - but many strange things are happening, and Windows behaves quite unpredictable in some ways (I'm mainly referring to the filesystem virtualization used to make old programs think they could would to "C:\Program Files", while they can't).

So, please, once again: Do not touch your DI client's files. Use only a stock new Uru installation with the DI patcher, and make sure it is located somewhere in C:\Users. Failing to do so can result in massive breakage on the Shard, affecting every explorer (worst case: vault corruption, all avatars have to be deleted - this is rather unlikely though).
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Samy » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

diafero wrote: So, please, once again: Do not touch your DI client's files. Use only a stock new Uru installation with the DI patcher, and make sure it is located somewhere in C:\Users. Failing to do so can result in massive breakage on the Shard, affecting every explorer (worst case: vault corruption, all avatars have to be deleted - this is rather unlikely though).

Sorry, but my english ist not the best. ;)

diafero wrote: I was finally able to download and install the age on the Shard....

WOW, WOW, WOW what for a fantastic Age! :o Superb, magnifique! One of the best age ever! Thanks a lot, denost 2!

clap.gif
clap.gif (2.51 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
clap.gif
clap.gif (2.51 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
thumbsup.png
thumbsup.png (817 Bytes) Viewed 4500 times
Samy

Postby Karkadann » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:25 am

Sirius wrote:ULM is still working, but AFAIK you are no longer able to download fan Ages from it. You can also use the offline-KI and Drizzle (Drizzle allows you to download a lot of fan Ages, and you can use custom
book covers with it).

is their any way to combine ULM and the UAM so we can continue to update our Fan made ages and add new ones?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby denost2 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:32 pm

I am not at home for a week
I will send the missing file as soon as I am back

The other files are not used in SOM EWHERE.
They are for next age currently in development.
I forgot to take out these files. They will cause no problem.
denost2

Postby diafero » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:14 pm

denost2 wrote:I am not at home for a week
I will send the missing file as soon as I am back
Great!

denost2 wrote:The other files are not used in SOM EWHERE.
They are for next age currently in development.
I forgot to take out these files. They will cause no problem.

It's okay, I removed them for the Shard - just wanted to let you know in case these files were actually intended to be used :)

is their any way to combine ULM and the UAM so we can continue to update our Fan made ages and add new ones?
Not sure what you mean here? ULM is even more dead than UAM^^
Also, ULM had two jobs:
* Downloading and installing ages. Since the server is gone, no longer possible - use UAM for old ages, and do it manually for new ones
* Making ages available in-game: Now done by Offline KI which also has tons of other useful features (both for players and age writers), so I see no reason to still use ULM here
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:01 pm

I guess I was just hoping someone would continue to update the UAM or the equivalent their of from time to time.
It was best way to distribute new Ages and Relto pages among the community. unfortunately the UAM is no longer being updated
due to a personality conflict and a miscommunication between various members of the Myst community,
and we have yet to find a replacement.
Last edited by Karkadann on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Annabelle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 am

Let me put my 2 cents...

Denost SHOULD have gone throught the NORMAL ways to distribute his age: UAM.

Despite Diafero's hate for UAM, that way makes less annoyance for the "alpha" explorers to make mistake like loading age to their shard install folders "manually" because they have age prp files in their hands.

Someone didn't get the message SOMEWHERE (that was so easy to write :D )...

Where do you see, in this forum, age writers posting their (@)#&Ù#@ prp files to the community in the open but Denost?

Doing so Denost forgot that there is not only the Deep Island shard out there SOMEWHERE (call it easy shot LOL) in cyberspace but that there's also TOC TPOTS and, far and foremost, the UAM shard which has more members than Deep Island since 6 months.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Paradox » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:22 am

Annabelle wrote:Denost SHOULD have gone throught the NORMAL ways to distribute his age: UAM.

I don't think there is anyone maintaining UAM to add new Ages, so it would be impossible for Denost to release that way.

Annabelle wrote:Where do you see, in this forum, age writers posting their (@)#&Ù#@ prp files to the community in the open but Denost?

Tweek releases all of his Ages through his blog.
Paradox

PreviousNext

Return to Building