Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Release of my Age SOMEWHERE.

Postby diafero » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:07 am

Annabelle wrote:Despite Diafero's hate for UAM, that way makes less annoyance for the "alpha" explorers to make mistake like loading age to their shard install folders "manually" because they have age prp files in their hands.
I don't hate UAM, where do you take that from? It's just not possible currently to put new ages up on there.
I do have bad feelings about Dustin who used to run UAM, maybe that's what you are referring to. "Hate" is not the right word though.

Where do you see, in this forum, age writers posting their (@)#&Ù#@ prp files to the community in the open but Denost?
IMHO that's actually quite a good system: Age writers upload their bare files, and the distribution people take them and put them into whatever format is required for their form of distribution. Explorers with some technical knowledge can just use the uploaded file, those who don't want to know the details wait a few more details until the age is available on their favourite Shard or age distribution tool. That makes the whole system less dependant on a single person doing the right thing with the ages only he gets. Rell-too, for example, was always distributed like that, just like the ages of the German H'uru group (Jonae, Janga, Takla Makan), and many more.

A new UAM age database is in the works, as I already wrote several times. Once it is working, all you need to do is change the URL in your UAM/Drizzle, and then you can download and install new ages without messing with prp files again. I am not sure however if I am going to set up an upload website... IMHO it is easier for people to just upload their zipfile and some sharehoster, announce the age in the forums, and then I (and possibly others) pick it up. That also gives us a natural place for discussion about the age, and it makes more people aware that there is something new.
Actually, the new database is almost done and waiting for testing - the only problem is that I need a huge amount of hard disk space to host it, more than the server DI is running on has to offer ;-)
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 am

A new UAM age database is in the works,

OK nevermind
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Annabelle » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Ok then UAM as its present state looks dead and you, Diafero, is working on something new. I got you thx.

Nevertheless, there are still 494 members on UAM shard and 96 members on TOC TPOTS shard (I looked the numbers today) that can't access SOMEWHERE age despite all the flaws I consider it as a nice age overall. For this time I'll contact both Filtik and Dustin to make them aware of SOMEWHERE age so 600 more members of our community can enjoy this age as well.

You might think that most explorers are everywhere on each server...I don't think so, I'm a rare specie you know :D ;)
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Karkadann » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:39 pm

I sent an update to the to Dustin a few days ago mostly out of curiosity to see if he was still willing updating the UAM, because I am working on an age that Im gonna try to make a culmination of everything I have learned and a few things I have yet to learn and I needed a way to distribute it to the community and the UAM is still the best way.

Any way I have not gotten a reply from him yet, I also wanted to ask him if he can sent me a quick tutorial about how to make a Relto Page Reward, like the tutorial he sent me on adding a prp file, no one else seemed to know all the details involved. Before I had a chance to set up a prp file for Relativity with tables chairs and some plants based on the drawing the two announcements happens So I started working on The Desert Enigma or R'Kirin Deseekay. With all the stuff I plan on putting into it I am assuming the UAM issue should be resolved long before Im finished
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Samy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:10 am

@denost 2

Are you the overtone-singer at the Ice age travelbook-room ;)
Samy

Postby diafero » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 pm

Annabelle wrote:Nevertheless, there are still 494 members on UAM shard and 96 members on TOC TPOTS shard (I looked the numbers today) that can't access SOMEWHERE age despite all the flaws I consider it as a nice age overall. For this time I'll contact both Filtik and Dustin to make them aware of SOMEWHERE age so 600 more members of our community can enjoy this age as well.

I am unsure what you want to say here - are you complaining that Denost/the GoW/me/whoever is not doing enough to make the age available everywhere? I mean, none of us can install the age on these Shards, that is totally up to the admins. So if this is supposed to be a complaint, these forums are probably the wrong place for it because everyone reading it will already have updated their Shard ;-)
It is up to the Shard admins (and in their responsibility) to update the ages on their Shards. Of course this is difficult if ages are not announced, which is why I think every age author should announce age releases and updates on these forums. That makes it a good place for both explorers and admins to find updates. But that's about all the age author can and should do.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:43 am

Not to Derail an already derailed thread, But how is the new UAM coming along?
Karkadann

Postby denost2 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 am

Samy,
Congratulations, I think you have explored the Age.
Completely?
Question: have you seen a rotating object with a strange drawing on it?
denost2

Postby Samy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:21 am

denost2 wrote: Completely?
Question: have you seen a rotating object with a strange drawing on it?

You mean the original from the copy in the li....... ;) A very dangerous place. :lol:

Anyway;
Near the canyon is a button in front of closed iron door. There I need a :idea:

Congratulations denost 2, it's a deeply interesting age. :)
Samy

Postby diafero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Karkadann wrote:Not to Derail an already derailed thread, But how is the new UAM coming along?

It's working here, but old ages are not copied yet. I hope to announce the URL tomorrow so more people can test it, with the old ages temporarily hosted on the DI server. That should work fine until Hoikas can host them.

diafero
Deep Island Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Building