A sense of scale?

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Postby T_S_Kimball » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:42 am

So that I don't totally fsck up my shell group :) I've been doing some initial experiments in making a test age, and doing quick experiments there. But I've realized that I'm having a scale problem...

For example, in my replicating the 'simple Age' tutorial, it says to create a 'large' mesh for the floor, which I thought I did (something like 40x40 units). But that turned out to be much smaller than expected, such that the av could run across in a few seconds.

So that creates a few questions:

1) Is the plugin using the default definition of a Blender Unit, and if so what does that equate in RL geometry (can't seem to find that part, sorry)?

2) What has people's experience been with the size of your initial terrain mesh?

3) What is the height of an Uru avatar? Along with the info from question 1, I can then spend a half-hour in SL and probably grab an equiv. avatar mesh of the appropriate height. And thereby help everyone with an 'open source' action figure to play with. ;)

The largest thing I've pulled up so far is my shell triad, but Pahts is huge by default. :) I'm looking forward to possibly generating something separate, but also don't want to mess up the scales between my work and Pahts.

Other than this I've picked up the interface reasonably quick - given my only other experince with '3D modeling' is the Second Life primitive-build system.

Thanks,
--TSK
Timothy S. Kimball | The Kind Healer -- http://sungak.net
Pahts Shells 420 {Basic layout - 70%; Text for books - 20%}
T_S_Kimball

Postby Branan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:37 am

I think that a single blender unit is equal to 1 foot. DirectX doesn't really have a sense of scale, it's up to the programmer. Blender units are exported 1:1, as far as I know.

Check to make sure you're not zoomed in too close. If you do, Blender will show 1/10th unit subdivisions, which will mess things up. Anyway, 40 units is 40 feet, which is easily jogged across in a few seconds.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Trylon » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:49 am

Yeah, IIRC an Uru avatar is 6 Blender units
One day I ran through the cleft for the fiftieth time, and found that uru held no peace for me anymore.
Trylon

Return to Building