"The Cathedral" another building project

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

"The Cathedral" another building project

Postby dendwaler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 am

Hi all,

I have been talking from time to time about my Cathedral, i have been busy with it for a long time already.
Some times i 'm stuck on one of the many problems i encounter.

I decided to give a glimpse of what i have done.
This age i develop " in secret" . i mean i won't show much of it, because i do not want to spoil to much.
The age is far more in style with a " D'ni" ish look and feel.
It has some puzzles in it,( and i can spoil that) , you will have to learn the D'Ni score to solve it.

All what happens in this (big) age is inside the cathedral.
Are there any suggestions on how to name the age?
i am very , very bad in linguistics, and do not have the time nor much pleasure in learning it.
So, i hope one of you does have a good name for this age, and may be can add a good story for it, once you have seen more.

Unfortunately, the age will not be ready by christmas, i had hoped so, but started with the other " little age" when i was stuck with this one.

Here is a picture from the inside.
It has been my avatar for a long time, so you might have a " deja vu" with it.
But as i said, not to much spoiling for this age.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: "The Cathedral" another building project

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I would suggest Votahrteeah Yahvo Praises to The Maker
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby janaba » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Absolute magnificent ... It seems you are our most promising master builder at the moment, dendwaler ... :P
janaba

Postby dendwaler » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Because i'am so hyped by you,

I will post the cover texture for the linking book.

It shows the topview of the cathedral inside Blender.
When you have a close look to it, you will notice the age has 4 Wings.
4 Towers with a glass top and a big central hall also with a Glass dome.

The last screenshot was taken halfway the left wing.
.. and there is more. which cannot been seen.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby janaba » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Wow!!! Very impressive .... Thanks for sharing, dendwaler ... :)
janaba

Postby Charura » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Bahro Belfry
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Karkadann » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 am

It looks great, very realistic. however if your gonna have a belfry you just gotta have some bats flying around in it. :D
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby dendwaler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:47 am

The age is growing and growing, and since the last days i am running into problems.
When i export the age and near to the end of the progress i get a message with a "run out of memory problem"

I have had this before and bought me an extra 4 Gbyte of memory in my PC.
So i have 8 Gbyte internal memory.
Looking to the taskmanager during export i see that the amount of used memory increases during export.
But when Blender shuts down with the message i can see in the taskmanager that there is still 1Gbyte left.
What can i do, to get this to export again?
any ideas?

I realize that i am working on the bounderies at the moment, but i have to finish this project and still have to build an area.
The age itself is divided into 8 visual regions and i have no lag at all.( @ tester : Wamduskasapa, in the meantime I tackeled the reason why you might have some lag!)
The new area will be into a new region, when that is finished i start tweaking and concentrate to scripting to get to a finished product.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 am

I got a closer look to what happens.
during export the available memory decreases slowly.
When starting the export i have already used 2.95 Gbyte of memory only because i opened the age in Blender.
Available for use is 3.474 Gbyte during export.

The rest of the memory is used by the cache : 2.620 Gbyte

Thats about it.

During the export the export the available memory decreases until its zero.
Exactly then , the export crashes.
The cache memory is still about the same , it alters a tiny little bit during the export, but thats about nothing.
So, my conclusion is, besides adding memory .( I don't want that because its costly ddr2 and i don't have slots available .) That i have to decrease the cache for about 1 Gbyte.

But i have no idea how to do that.

Any suggestions?

dendwaler

Postby JanB » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't know the blender program yet, but google shows a few URLs about a caching limitation subject.
Show Spoiler

Furhermore how is your overall PC performance rating and what is the weakest point there at the moment ?
I should set the OS Systems memory cache drive to another disk drive and set a fixed length to it at least 1,5 x 8GB length since you do require so much memory overall
I don't know if you are using a SDD disk as system drive yet, but that might increase your system performance significantly ( and have your system cache then configured on another spindle then).
Have a look at the Sysinternal suite ( Microsoft - Marc Rusinovitch) which has splendit memory usage analysing tools and have a look also at the Autostart utility in that suite, than can help you tune down the often not needed autostart of many drive and feature programs but that will consume memory and so be able to reduce your basic OS memory usage - before starting Blender - somewhat more.
JanB

Next

Return to Building