"The Cathedral" another building project

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: "The Cathedral" another building project

Postby Tweek » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:06 am

dendwaler wrote:Thx all for the comments, i only wanted to show some of all the work.
I used FFSplit for the recording, i downloaded it and this was my first and only recording with it.
The sound in game is very good, but i had my settings wrong , as ania said it was the mic instead of the direct audio stream.

About the lightning, .. its far better in reality , what you see here its competely " flattened " in some way.
All the dark parts are brighter here then in game. You can hardly see the difference between the center and the galeries.

And i know i have to add light from the lamps falling on the wall, but it is to difficult for me.
i should have set it up different from the beginning.
The vertex painting does not work here, because there are to less vertices. in horizontal direction.
The area is huge, so i cannot introduce more vertices without performance loss.
What you see in this video is only about 1/10 of the whole.

Most of it looks good, there were just a couple of things (the lights falling on the walls more was one of the points). The canvas/easel and the pews are a bit bright in relation to everything else, likewise with the avatar being brighter than the surroundings too (I'm guessing he's lighted by a white sun? Might be worth tinkering with a yellowish brown lightsource).

Yeah if you're using vertex painting you really have to model with that in mind otherwise it doesn't work properly (found this out the hard way myself). You could set up a secondary set of lamps to be used for baking lightmaps only. Have them focusing light on the areas you want to show more, bake it all and then remove the lamps before exporting the final build (I had to do this with Fehnir's House). Alternatively popping the lightmaps into photoshop and manually editing them works too.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby dendwaler » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 am

Tweek thx for your suggestions,
Some of those . (as the sun color) i can still use and alter.
The problem is that i started about 3 years ago. I have learned so much in that period, that i would set up things completely different.
Furthermore, I have learned to manage Blender fairly well, but I still am compared to Blender a noob in Photoshop.
If i make lightmaps with lamps , it will be applied on places where it is not allowed, because i make use of the array modifier.
When i apply those arrays then i have to remap every area.
Its possible yes, but then i prefer to change my way of building in a new age, instead of staying into this one for ever.
:lol:
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Dulcamara » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 am

I have seen the video and I think it is just wonderful :!: :!: :!:
I can not wait to explore your cathedral.
Dulcamara

Postby TrapperDave » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:42 am

The Cathedral looks great! Have any idea when it will be available to play ?
Anxious to go there :)
TrapperDave Ki #00151142
Lost somewhere in Elsewhere for a long time
TrapperDave

Postby Annabelle » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:47 am

I think denDwaler is waiting for the puzzle implementation first as far as I understand. It could take some time before we can go there and pray (and for some of you (not me!) repent for your sins... ;) )
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby dendwaler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:57 am

@trapperdave

Really i cannot tell you,
Last year at this time , i would have said "during christmas 2013"
then i got troubles, with everything, i could not export it any longer.
Happily Sirius helped me out with an easier export function and i could divide the age into several parts (prp files)
Now i am bringing in puzzles, they wil not be extremely difficult for the player, but certainly will bring in the effect that you want to discover what is behind there?
so you wil have to explore to find your way with a bit of tinkering and going from a to b to a and back to c , well i gues you know how that is.
I have a hard time with scripting, being not my best skill. after that some texturing and lightning and collider issues and finaly the sound that has to be shaped to the events.
then it is ready, because the age is ready in its rough forms already.

still rests me lots of work, and it is only possible because i am retired and adopted this crazyness as a hobby :D
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 am

Just a little update.

I am still working on this age.
And unfortunately still lots of "todo" on my list.
But the list is getting shorter slowly.
The puzzles i had in mind are scripted and working for about 75 % .
The hardest part of the script code is done and working.
As you can see on the screenshot every wing gets its own character.
I choose the screenshots with care otherwise i would spoil to much.
I hope you like it.

dendwaler

Postby Dulcamara » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:33 am

Oh, yes Dendwaler i like it very very much. Its just wonderfull. :)
Can't wait :!: :!: :!:
Dulcamara

Postby janaba » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 am

Wow!!! You've changed and added so much already again, dendwaler ... :P

I just watched your wonderful video once again, and this was already awesome, esp. the beautiful glow of the many lights and candles ... and now we have a holy sword added to all the magic, and some D'ni design and just more awesomeness to admire and to indulge in ... This seems to really be a magical journey and adventure to look forward to, den ... thanks for sharing and letting us know that the mystery of this age is still pending and about to be revealed to us ... :)
janaba

Postby cskid13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:37 am

I look forward to seeing more!
cskid13

PreviousNext

Return to Building