"The Cathedral" another building project

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: "The Cathedral" another building project

Postby Karkadann » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 pm

Wow its looking better and better. although I do have one question, How did you animate the fire and how can it be done in Max? I noticed the fireplace Relto page looks like two particle systems, yours looks far more realistic.
would you be willing to produce a quick tutorial for the animated flame that would translate into Max as well as blender?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Karkadann, for max i dont know.

I think the picture looks a bit better then when you see it in game.
The fire is a sprite which is always turned to the camera as in any halo for lamps.
The sprite has 8 different textures of flames.
The textures are on diffrent material layers.
I switch layers with an ipo on and of in an endless loop.
Actually i simulate an animated gif.
Its easy and works pretty good.

....its only a bit flat, what you miss in game is 3d volume.

@sirius i will answer you soon, i have to overthink it a bit more .
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby janaba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm

The fires are absolutely amazing and so beautiful, dendwaler and all, indeed ... I can already
see and hear them softly blazing and crackling away ... Wow ... :)
janaba

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Haha, janaba, i did not mean 3d sound, there is 3 d sound for the fire.

I meant that a sprite has no depth its 2 d.

It makes the flames unrealistic because they do not move towards and from the avatar.

Another thing is that i have to start the different braziers on different times, now all the flames are in sync with each other.
And that is very unrealistic.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

whats an ipo
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Calena » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Karkadann wrote:whats an ipo

Editing IPO curves in Blender is equivalent to using the Curve Editor in 3dsMax7 for refining animations.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby dendwaler » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:21 am

It seems not possible to make a collider an " actor" when this actor is parented to a subworld.
Is this really not possible or is it not supported in PyPRP?

I need a lot a lot of colliders in a moving subworld you know.

dendwaler

Postby Calena » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 pm

dendwaler wrote:It seems not possible to make a collider an " actor" when this actor is parented to a subworld.
Is this really not possible or is it not supported in PyPRP?

I need a lot a lot of colliders in a moving subworld you know.

Depends on exactly what you're trying to do. Parenting a simple collider to a subworld should absolutely be set to "actor", the caution being that the object centers must be matched exactly and of course remembering that the lag in animations is caused by the colliders. If the colliders are too complex, you'll get severe lag in the animation once it's in the game.

If you're talking about parenting a collider on a second animation to an animated subworld, the object of the second animation will move to the global center of the age once it's in the game. I researched this with builders who are much more knowledgeable than I am and was not able to find anyone with knowledge on how to get around this bug.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm

I would be careful doing too many advanced tricks with subworlds in PotS. We have chat logs from Brice Tebbs (the former CTO of Cyan Worlds during Path of the Shell) stating that subworlds are a nasty workaround for bugs in havok. Given that you're exploiting what amounts to a temporary workaround, I wouldn't be surprised if there are lots of nasty bugs waiting to ensare you.

Of course we'd be able to troubleshoot MOUL ages better as we have the source for that engine, but it's still not easy to target the MOUL engine (we're working on it, I promise).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:49 am

Thx both for your answers.
I am aware of the problems with parented moving objects to the world center.

I succeded in a working subworld after i placed an empty at the center of the subworld.
All subworld objects are parented to this empty.

The animation is the animation of this center, its moved and rotated.
The empty itself is initialy at the worldcenter.

In the subworld are objects that needs colliders. I have not any problem when i use triangle mesh colliders.
But as soon as i set a real collider, it disappears as it becomes an actor, so it does not behave the same as the object it is colliding.
Ofcoarse this collider is also parented to the subworld center empty

I will try to make a workaround by changing the colider to an object and texture this object with a pure an pure transparent png.

I will take in account what you said adam but this subworld is complete ready and absolutely the most attractive part and surprize of the age! Fully working for about a year now, only without some colliders.

I realy want to finish this age now i am able to export it again.
Still there are many things that have to be done before its ready to release.
One of those things are the popping effects calena talks about in visregions.

Its difficult to handle combined with transparent windows.
Then it also needs visual blockers.

Still a long way to go.
:D

dendwaler

PreviousNext

Return to Building