"The Cathedral" another building project

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: "The Cathedral" another building project

Postby dendwaler » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:32 am

The problem is solved!

Calena was right in a way.
The object did not follow the path the same way as it did in blender, but since its a collider i could not see it.
I did a liitle trick that worked out good in this situation.
I shifted the object center to the subworld center, but kept the mesh in place.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:04 am

Sirius wrote:Now that's a good question !
Since PyPRP can read already exported PRP files, I would say "Yes"...
It would load up the previous file, apply some modifications, and rewrite the whole file.
Which means the file loading/writing would take some time, but you wouldn't have to convert a lot of data from Blender scenes.
Since the info exchange with Blender takes most of the time, it would really go a lot faster.

The tricky part would be to find textures, materials which are (or are not) already in the PRP. Then find object connections (for both AlcScript regions and objects affected by lights, which is a BIG part. Not to mention textures which might be in two PRPs), and make sure every objects are in the PRP (assuming we don't have linked objects in two PRPs).

So, that's possible, but I wouldn't want to be the one applying all the modifications...
I think if we manage to get rid of these memory and slow-down bugs, splitting the age in multiple PRPs will be enough, since you could put your updated objects in a single PRP.

If someone is to take this on,might I suggest going the route that Cyan did with their max plugin. The Max Plugin overwrites all the prps in an age with the exception of the Texture page. That page it simply exports the new textures into the existing PRP page if there is one. The only fault with this is if it's the same image file but from a different folder on the users computer or in a different image format. Then the plugin simply copies it into a new image. However the engine then has trouble reading the PRP. Or at least our tools like PRPShop have trouble opening the texture page. I've never tried to load a texture page with multiple copies of the same texture in Plasma however I suspect it wouldn't like it very much either.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby dendwaler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 am

Just another screenshot taken from one of the galleries.

I rebuilded this part, because i could do it with far less faces and a better result.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby janaba » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:42 am

Ohh, how absolutely stunningly beautiful and amazing ... The floor, the walls, the
windows and just everything ... I believe, I even see a journey cloth over there ... :P

Awesome job again, thanks for sharing and keeping us updated, dendwaler ... :)
janaba

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 am

Excellent work - I can't wait to journey within your marvelous creation
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby dendwaler » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:33 pm

The last week i decided to rebuild 90 % of the cathedral.
Its exactly the same but with less faces, more precise and better lightning.
The better lightning is because i discovered that baking ambient occlusion is much better and much faster in the new blender 2.66
I baked it in 2.66 and usedthe result in 2.49b because i can only export it from there.
Its incredible, i was busy with this age for almost 1 year and did the rebuild in 5 days now i understand better how to do it.

For sky divers there will be some additional colliders, may be they are hard to find , but once know it will be very simple to use them and may be will add some fun for everyone.

It will give some views otherwise not possible without fly-mode.

like this.

dendwaler

Postby janaba » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Just breathtaking, dendwaler ... and it is great that you're discovering ways to alleviate the immense
work load to boost your excitement and inspiration, and I have to smile as to your sweetness to think
of adding those collisions for the skydivers ... 8-)
janaba

Postby Jojon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 am

Are you still using the mirror modifiers? (…because they are the cause for the inverted normals you were having and which forced you to make every face two-sided.)

Like Hoikas said; It is not the making a collider an actor, in itself, that makes it out of whack, but animating it; the coders couldn't make Havok properly transfer velocity (through friction) from a keyframed object to the avatar, so they implemented the subworld paradigm as a quick and dirty workaround, or suchlike.

In the copy I was messing around with, I did a ugly "solution" for the "seam" between the main- and sub world, by giving each a dupplicate of part of the other's collider, animated inverse to the subworld (so that it remained stationary, relative to its "original").
(it might have been much easier to simply disallow the player's transitioning between the main- and sub world, whilst it is moving, but... :P)

Mod Note: removed spoiler at the request of post author
Last edited by Tsar Hoikas on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spoiler
Jojon

Postby dendwaler » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:49 am

No, no mirror modifiers left, all single side textures after the rebuild.
Please, do not spoil what i did not spoil myself.
I did not show anything related to what has to become part of puzzles.
I only tried to get some help with coding, because i am not good enough in that.

dendwaler

Postby Jojon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Oop! Sorry - I guess the age is still under wraps. *slaps self*

Hmm… where has the edit button gone? (EDIT: right here apparently, but not for my previous post… I'll check on another computer…)
Jojon

PreviousNext

Return to Building