Blender Age Builders Video Tutorial Series Thread

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Blender Age Builders Video Tutorial Series Thread

Postby DreamBliss » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:04 am

Thank you for your feedback.

I understand where you are coming from. But this issue of the left and right mouse buttons has been a long-standing debate. My videos are geared more towards weaning folks off of Max, because if I were to guess I'd say about 1% of them have a legal copy. So I want to get them using Blender, and that means a gradual transition. Get them using it in a way that's familiar, then they can adapt to the Blender default controls as they feel ready.

I know that Blender has been designed to be used a certain way. I do. But in my opinion while this was a grand idea, it fails in execution. Yell at Microsoft if you like, but the majority of folks are using Windows over any other OS, and that means they are also using left mouse to select stuff. You can't just go changing it, no matter what the reasoning may be, and expect it to work for people. I think the Blender folks should have done what the Gimp folks did. In Gimps case it was the idea of floating windows or a single window, in comparison to Photoshop. They decided to design things more like Photoshop, and as a result I can use the newer versions of Gimp instead of Photoshop. As a matter of fact I prefer Gimp now. The folks behind Blender should have designed it to look and work like Max or Maya - period. They have already taken a major step in that direction with the new design. Which is why I am even considering using it.

When it comes down to it I would rather work slower and risk repetitive stress injury using familiar controls than trying to master a complicated program along with complicated controls. If Blender didn't have the left mouse button option and new interface design, I wouldn't even go near it. And if I was a betting man, a safe bet would be that I am not alone on this.

I don't say any of this to argue with you. Just want to be clear where I am coming from and what my intentions are. I respect your viewpoint, and you are more than welcome to make some sort of response video tutorial explaining the default controls. In fact, that's probably a good idea. As an experienced Blender user, you can translate my Max-like controls and setup to Blender defaults. Show folks how you use Blender, the way it was designed to be used. This would be an excellent resource for newcomers to modeling, so they can learn Blender the best way in your opinion. Yes, I think that would work out very well.

So your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to make a tutorial that takes my setup and translates it the default Blender controls, shortcuts and workflow. I will add a link to my video and, with your permission, the support page. That way everyone can use and learn Blender in whatever way they like. Alternatively, if you have video editing software, I can give you permission to edit my videos, and you can then add some popup textual instructions showing say the shortcut for an action, stating a default control or explaining a different workflow.

The point is I am willing to work with you on this and open to ideas. But I will continue to work with and teach Max-like workflow and left mouse select controls. That does not mean that I am closed to someone else showing another way of working with Blender. We may even be able to double-team the videos in some way. Not sure how that would work. I wonder if we could Skype or something, and figure out a way where you could narrate your alternative, I could follow your instructions, and in this way both approaches could be shown in the video?

Well get back to me if you are interested. Thank you for the links.

The videos are long because I am explaining everything and covering every step. As I mention at the end of the second video, my goal is not just to teach the process of age building in Blender. but also to make sure that the viewer understands how to use the program to make things. In other words I am not just showing a series of steps. I am explaining why those steps are taken and the details behind each one. Watch one of the videos a;ll the way through if you don't get what I mean. Essentially its the difference between pointing at spots along a road on a map, and slowly running your finger down the road, explaining anything of interest or note along the way.
If the spark does not desire the tinder there is no flame.
DreamBliss

Postby DreamBliss » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:20 pm

So I went over this thread again. Some good points have been made.

1. The majority of people want a teacher who knows what they are doing.
2. The videos are too long.
3. I was trying to make Blender work like 3DS Max.

I am addressing these and redoing the entire series. I may still not come off as professional as some would prefer. I make no apologies. I will simply do the best I can. The videos will be shorter and only minor Blender configurations will be used. Please be aware I edited what I said here earlier. It came off as way to harsh and like I was pouting or something.

Mod Note: Removed redundant font size
DreamBliss

Postby DreamBliss » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:41 am

Here is a link to the new Blender Age Builders Series Playlist at YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsNZMx ... VVl4n9VHF2

One video remains to be done then I will consider myself finished, having reached my goal.

I may add more videos to the series - no promises - please release all expectations.

If I add additional videos they will be Adding Textures, Adding A Sky, Adding Sounds.

If I go beyond that perhaps expanding the main area, creating custom textures, adding a puzzle, animating things, adding terrain.

For now the basics of age building are covered. Between my video tutorials for Blender and the written ones here you should have no problem getting people interested in age building, and making it as easy as possible to do so, since everything they need to know to begin with is very well covered at this point.

The rest I leave to you.

Mod Note: Removed redundant font size
DreamBliss

Postby DreamBliss » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:33 am

This series is now, as far as I am concerned, completed. I have kept things as professional as possible and addressed all the issues with the previous videos. The main series, covering only basic age creation and export/import to Uru CC is 9 videos long, and most of the videos are 30 minutes in length.

I have just finished the last of 3 more videos, and these cover adding textures to materials, aligning them, and adding multiple textures to multiple materials, which is a very confusing subject, but I think I covered the process very well.

If the videos continue, they will be UV Painting, terrain and skybox, then sounds. At some point, either in the process of this series, or in a Blender Tips 'N Tricks series, I will tackle the subjects of Texture Baking, Stencils, Light Maps/Ambient Occlusion, Normal/Bump Maps, Detail Textures, and on and on it goes. Makes my head hurt!

For now the series covers two subjects... Learning Blender 2.49b, which is not the focus of the written tutorial here, so that is now covered, as well as Age Creation, which was covered before, and more extensively, by the written tutorial. This should allow those new to Blender 2.49b to jump right in and make their own ages, because everything is clearly demonstrated and explained. While the written tutorials are good for people who already know how to use Blender, and want to jump in to Age building.

There are some subjects that remain to be covered, such as level design, sketching a layout, advanced PyPRP settings, animations, swim areas, switches/levers, etc. If there is anyone here who would like to do their own videos, all you need is Microsoft Expression Studio (free, comes with a video editor) and a mic, which you can get for under $60.00 at Amazon. I got a Blue Microphone Snowball. Comes with a desktop stand and all you need is a USB cable. Here's a link to MES:
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/eng/

If they make it so you can't download it anymore let me know and I will upload it somewhere and host it. They released it for free, so I have no qualms about doing that.

I sincerely hope that others begin to make their own videos and share their own areas of expertise and knowledge. If you hate Blender 2.49b, I was told there is a way to use Blender 2.7x and do a legacy export. You will have to look that up, but if it is true and if it works, then you could make ages in a newer build of Blender, export it for Blender 2.49b, and possible add the PyPRP stuff from there. I leave it to you to experiment with this.
DreamBliss

Postby DreamBliss » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:09 am

I just finished another video, this one covers texture painting via exporting the UVs, importing them into Gimp, and doing a simple 3D bevel effect, then importing back into Blender. The link should be the same and it should be on the playlist in the next few hours.

The next video, if done, will cover Projection Painting.
DreamBliss

Previous

Return to Building