The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

Postby Karkadann » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:27 am

Iv been doing some experimenting in my Chess age, I added an artificial pond a few Coconut trees, some simple Skydiver stuff,
and came across a glitch that lets you swim underwater if you jump in the pond from up high, not sure why its happening but it was kinda interesting so I left it alone.

Here it is submitted for your approval. Let me know what ya think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8tgve ... ge+4.0.rar
Last edited by Karkadann on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 experiments with water

Postby janaba » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Works wonderfully and looks beautiful, Karkadann ... you always have such lovely ideas ... and one can also do some 'leafy' jumping, sth like island hopping lol, and the 'pawny' fountain is beautiful as well ... didn't do the diving yet ... but wait, I'll do that now ... :D

Wow!!! This is so awesome ... I don't know from which higher place to jump, but I remembered sth that works with many fan ages on Alcugs and in Uru offline, which is just opening the KI when you're in the deep water or sea, then you're descending down to the ground and can walk and/or swim/dive underwater, and this works perfectly well here and is much fun esp. as the bottom of that pond is very beautiful too ... Great job, Karkadann ... :)
janaba

Postby Jogi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:09 pm

And do not forget to shake the coconut. :lol:
Yes, who's a good island hopper is capable of crossing the pond dry feet!

Maybe a bit of fog under water would be nice.
Jogi

Postby Wamduskasapa » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Shake the coconut??

I found two coconuts that will fall and one that hit me in the head. Neither have a hot spot and both sink immediately when they go into the water but that is the limit of their interactivity..

Excellent work Karkadann
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Karkadann » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

thank you for your compliments and suggestions im glad people enjoy exploring my ages as much as I enjoy building them

as far as a higher place to jump
Show Spoiler

I was wondering if any one was gonna notice the coconut tree thingy, its an idea I had a while back I just never had an opportunity to use it.
how it hit BlackSnake in head?? that was not intentional, hope it didn't leave to much of a bruise. I never could figure out a way to make simples or kickables as their known float
if any body knows Id love to try it (assuming its something I can figure out) until then the coconuts sink like rocks

The coconuts don't have a hot spot
Show Spoiler

The fog sounds like an interesting idea if I can figure out how to keep the fog effect underwater I'll have to give it a try thanks

I could not get across the pond my self cuz the lily pads are to slippery for me,

The fountain turned out better then I expected but was a bit of a problem, the particles would become almost invisible with the pond in the back ground
some kind of alpha channel interaction between the water and the particle so I added it as a prp file
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Wamduskasapa » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 am

Karkadann wrote:The coconuts don't have a hot spot
Show Spoiler

I finally got the third coconut to fall.

BUT the best part - was finding the Sweet Spot beneath the trees and then jumping...
Show Spoiler
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Jogi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:23 am

Wamduskasapa wrote:Shake the coconut??

Sorry, that was intentionally put something flippant because I did not want to reveal too much.
Anyway, if you jump against a tree then there is a new crop.

Karkadann wrote:The fog sounds like an interesting idea if I can figure out how to keep the fog effect underwater I'll have to give it a try thanks

Unfortunately my started Age about a year ago is still in its beginnings because I'm so bone idle.
Therefore, I have not worked with fog myself. "Minkata" and "The Walking Maze" are examples of how fog is controlled in the game dynamically. I think you need a specific region for that?
In "Minkata" the further you leave the center the more dense the fog gets. In "The Walking Maze", when you go from the starting point towards that first stair, you can see how the fog gets more intensive in visible steps. I hope a simple switching on and off is also doable.
Jogi

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 am

While I try and figure out if I can get fog working underwater the way I want it (assuming the glitch still works) and perhaps add a pumping system of some sort
Show Spoiler

I was wondering if Diafero could add this to UAM when he has a chance.

Thanks
Karkadann

Postby tachzusamm » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:32 pm

Karkadann wrote:The fog sounds like an interesting idea if I can figure out how to keep the fog effect underwater I'll have to give it a try thanks

I used regions to get this effect in my Age (which has not been released yet).
You can see a video of this effect here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6re0KmuFb8

The disadvantage of regions however is that you'll have to disable cam zooming, and suppress first person view while in the region, otherwise fog and camera will not synch.
Another option would be to try softvolumes.

The belonging thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4358#p42787
Maybe you can get some ideas of it.
tachzusamm

Postby Sirius » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:35 am

I remember there was a Plasma object that allowed you to set fog settings for a single object, which means the settings in the FNI file did not affect it.
It could be used for ponds, this way objects in the water would look "fogged" no matter whether you're underwater or not...
I don't think Cyan ever used it though, and I never managed setting up one.
Sirius

Next

Return to Building