The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 experiments with water

Postby Karkadann » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Any idea where I can find this Plasma object?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:33 am

It must be called something like FogEnvironment in Max... Cyan never used it, but I believe it is still available.
It's not a material setting, so it should be located with the object's properties.

I found the thread in which Paradox and Branan explain what the FogEnvironment was.
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:02 am

I cant find it under object properties, it does not seem to readily accessible.
Would you be able to give me a bit more detail as to how we find it or is it just a mater of Unpack, Decompile, Compile, Repack and all the rest of that stuff I barely understand ?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:39 pm

That's not a Python script, if that's what you are asking. Since I don't have Max I don't know where it could be located.
It should be an object property of some kind, neither a modifier nor an interface, but I don't know anything else about it :? .
I'm not even sure Cyan left the option available, since it got replaced by FNI settings.

Adding the object manually to the PRP would be possible, but since PRPs store it in a crazy thing called Drawable Spans, it isn't going to be easy.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:01 pm

From reading the comments, I think the fni->plFog development was the other way around: it seems that the fog objects were meant to be the proper way of setting it, and the fni console commands were precisely the hack they appear to be, but the artists became so attached to using them that the conversion never happened before development stopped.

Related note: it is amusing and sometimes enlightening to read the comments containing the word 'artists'. ;)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Sources/Tools/MaxConvert/hsMaterialConverter.cpp
2564 // Yet another attempt to protect the artists from themselves.

:lol: ImageImage

On a serious note Does any one know how to get the Python file xFogDistTweener working?

Sovled

I just got done poking threw the xFogDistTweener on your GitHub H-uru site and realized what I was missing, its easer then I thought. Box 01 has a xFogSet python and a Region Sensor
and Box02 has a xFogSett python and a Region Sensor and both boxes have a xFogDistTweener python with Point A Obj pointing to Box01 and Point B Obj pointing to box 02.
Intersting stuff, definitely worth a quick experiment in your testage, especially when you have two different colors

Although I still have not figured out where they stashed FogEnvironment
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:52 am

I just uploaded the new version to the Shard. However, it lacked a linking image, so I re-used the one from the previous version - which no longer matches the actual content of the age. Would you like to send me a newer linking panel before I put the new version on UAM? There's a tutorial on creating linking images in the wiki.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 am

I had completely forgot about that, thanks for reminding me,
Here's the new image, I wanted to keep the new addition as a surprise and leave the missing fence as kind of a hint of what is and what is to come

Show Spoiler
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:47 am

Great, thanks - the new version is on UAM and DI now.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Acorn » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm

diafero wrote:the new version is on UAM and DI now.

Thanks, diafero - now I can get hit on the head by coconuts too! :lol: Ouch - two in one go! That was a bit much! :x
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Building