The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 experiments with water

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:05 am

Karkadann wrote:actually its an idea inspired by one of Ainia comments, besides if she plug's the drain she might burn out the pump.
In addition I have found the best way to get something tested is put it on the UAM, So yes its for both.
Thanks

Unfortunately - Since they now float these mischievous coconuts no longer pose a problem to the drain. If we were able to strip the fronds and leaves from the trees we might be able to plug the grain though.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

Postby Ainia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 am

Shorah all,

This is *most* exciting! And also very mysterious!! :shock:

I returned to Chess Age and found that out of the seven coconuts I'd left at the bottom of the pond, only three were still there, two at the fountain and one near the drain.

Two at the fountain Show Spoiler

One near the drain Show Spoiler

I hunted everywhere and only found one of the four missing coconuts...

Sitting at the side of the pond Show Spoiler

I have named him... Gilligan (of course :D ), and he loves to skitter across the pond. It is impossible to keep up with him once he gets started!

Glamor shot of Gilligan Show Spoiler

After playing with him for a while, he got tired and rolled over (or perhaps he's rather like a puppy and was just playing?)...

Playing "dead" Show Spoiler

Conclusion: water polo is a lot more fun than chess any day!! Now to get some buddies in here so we can have a match!!

[[Post scriptum: I still can't get any more coconuts to fall from the trees, so now only have four in my Age. But rather than reset the Age, I'm hoping to see if Gilligan will grow up!! I'd hate to stunt his growth!!!! :) ]]
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Acorn » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:24 pm

I've noticed something else in the UAM version, which you can actually see in Ainia's "two at the fountain" pic - there are mysterious reflections in the lake, from certain angles. They look like giant water lillies, taller than the palm trees, but there's also a rectangular reflection which doesn't match up with anything on land. Karkadann, you've created quite a puzzle Age!

Ainia, I do like Gilligan! I wish the coconuts in my age would start sprouting too :lol: ;)
Acorn

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 experiments with water

Postby Ainia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Shorah everyone,

More fun with Gilligan!

Wamduskasapa wrote:
Karkadann wrote:actually its an idea inspired by one of Ainia comments, besides if she plug's the drain she might burn out the pump.
In addition I have found the best way to get something tested is put it on the UAM, So yes its for both.
Thanks

Unfortunately - Since they now float these mischievous coconuts no longer pose a problem to the drain. If we were able to strip the fronds and leaves from the trees we might be able to plug the grain though.

And Wam, there is hope for the drain experiment! I've sunk Gilligan twice now, the second time while I was swimming/herding him (I hit him just right with my arm and down he went!). He always resets to the location at the start of the first clip, just like an eager puppy ready for more games! ;)

Yes Acorn, this is indeed a mysterious Age. There are more examples of the invisible giant flora in the clips, especially at the start of the third. The water reflections can sometimes seem... ominous! :o
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Karkadann » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

Acorn wrote:I've noticed something else in the UAM version, which you can actually see in Ainia's "two at the fountain" pic - there are mysterious reflections in the lake, from certain angles. They look like giant water lillies, taller than the palm trees, but there's also a rectangular reflection which doesn't match up with anything on land. Karkadann, you've created quite a puzzle Age!

Ainia, I do like Gilligan! I wish the coconuts in my age would start sprouting too :lol: ;)

I think I may have a partial explanation for the giant water lily reflection. A glitch I could never figure out a use for
I discovered early in my Age writing hobby and is rather simple to replicate with simple's better known as kickables

Show Spoiler
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby diafero » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:04 am

Something very weird is going on in this age - it seems to have a VeryVerySpecialPythonFileMod in BuiltIn.prp which references the xFogDistTweener. This is wrong. The VeryVerySpecialPythonFileMod is, as the same says, very special, and it should only ever be used for the age Python module itself (which then magically handles SDL somehow). If you want other Python files, just put a Python file mod with some name (like MyFogDistTweener) in the normal age prp.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:02 am

Nuts,, thats leftovers from an experiment on trying to figure out something similar to FogEnvironment...........I think............ but it never worked.
I was trying to add fog underneath the water, in idea from the first page on the thread,
not sure, do you wanna delete that if it its not necessary. or does it have something to do with the mysterious reflections in the water
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Sirius » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 am

The weird reflections must be because Plasma uses cubemaps for water reflections.

The object center for the pond is probably too close to the lilies. It should look better if it was located elsewhere on the surface. It must be at the center of the water surface, and far away from any object - lilies, fountain, pond sides.
Sirius

Postby Ainia » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Shorah once again,

After playing with Gilligan again earlier today, I found yet another fun pastime in the Chess Age--lily pad hopping. :)

The big clusters are fairly easy to hop upon Show Spoiler

The small clusters are tricky to jump as the pads are very slippery! Show Spoiler

It took some practice, but I finally managed to hop all five small clusters one after another across the pond... without falling in! :D

I still haven't figured out how to get Gilligan to come out and play on the DI shard... but I will continue trying! ;) So far, it appears that the Age resets automatically after I leave; sinking all 7 coconuts and then leaving makes them all disappear back into the trees. Another challenge!! :P
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Karkadann » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 am

The object center for the pond is probably too close to the lilies.
actually the object center is the lilies.

as far as Gilligan is concerned I think he is having to much fun playing with Ainia and the others to produce any roots however he still refuses to leave the pond area where the rest of his buddies hang out
all in good time I suppose
Karkadann

PreviousNext

Return to Building