The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: The Chess Age Update 4.0 & 4.01 experiments with water

Postby diafero » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:38 pm

The easiest thing to do would be for you to upload a fixed version of the age :) . I cold try fixing the prp, but that'd probably break more stuff than it fixes - editing the prp is really a last resort that should only be taken if the source file is not available.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Karkadann » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:23 am

I doe-know I kinda like it the way it is, like an unintentional easter egg and it adds an air of mystery. As many times as I walked threw it I never noticed it until someone pointed it out to me. but if its causing problem technically I could change it.....................I think
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Calena » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:56 am

I've been setting up a new account and client on Deep Island so I can go exploring there with the grandson and wandered into the updated version of the Chess Age for the first time. Oustanding job on that fountain, Karkadann. Another creative treasure find for me :) . I like the idea of the coconuts falling from the tree too. That's cute. But the fountain is tops! Great work figuring that out and making it happen.

I doubt if I'll be playing chess with my grandson, but I'll definitely take him to see the fountain. Maybe I can trick him and get a coconut to fall on his head!
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Ainia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:33 pm

Shorah Calena,

So far I haven't managed to get this to work on DI, but on my offline install of Chess Age, I discovered Gilligan, a floating coconut, who can be used to play water polo in the pond. Since I don't really know exactly what magic thing I did offline that triggered Gilligan, I am not sure how or even if he can be triggered on DI. But if so, he's a *lot* of fun and I'm sure your grandson would have a blast playing with him.

Check my earlier posts for pics and the details. He showed up between sessions, after I'd sunk all the coconuts in the pond. Doing the same on DI doesn't seem to work (perhaps because the Age resets automagically when explorers leave?), so I'm not sure if this was the "magical" trigger or not...
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Karkadann » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 am

Calena wrote:I've been setting up a new account and client on Deep Island so I can go exploring there with the grandson and wandered into the updated version of the Chess Age for the first time. Oustanding job on that fountain, Karkadann. Another creative treasure find for me :) . I like the idea of the coconuts falling from the tree too. That's cute. But the fountain is tops! Great work figuring that out and making it happen.

I doubt if I'll be playing chess with my grandson, but I'll definitely take him to see the fountain. Maybe I can trick him and get a coconut to fall on his head!

Thank You
the fountain took a lot of trial and error , finally I got fed up trying to figure out why the alpha channels kept blending together and loaded it up as a prp file

Their may be more to this age then you can "see"

Now if I can only think up a checkerboard age update, perhaps something with an old west twist to it
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby wodan944 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:22 am

I like the effect how the waterdrops sparkling in the water, are they particles?
it looks very cool.
Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.

Edward De Bono
wodan944

Postby Karkadann » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:38 am

They're actually two particle systems with two particle emitters each and the sparking is caused by the particles falling on a Collision Volume Effect component
Karkadann

Postby Ainia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Gilligan news flash!

Shorah folks, I just wanted to post a few new pics of Gilligan. I discovered recently that I can stand on him in the middle of the pond! :D I haven't yet figured out if it's possible to "walk" him around on the pond surface though (I keep falling off when I try), but will let you know if I figure out how to do so!

Balancing precariously in the middle of the pond, I can look out across the grassy expanse Show Spoiler

If I'm careful, I can turn and gaze at the fountain Show Spoiler

Turning again, there are the palm trees and chess board in the distance Show Spoiler

This little guy is a lot of fun! Thanks for my little friend, Karkadann!! ;)
ImageImage
Ainia

Previous

Return to Building