Age Building - Things to Remember

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Age Building - Things to Remember

Postby Deledrius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:03 am

Karkadann wrote:Would it be possible to reverse engineer bits and pieces of Talahdan and the various associated plasma plug-in components to figure out how the Shootable component needs to be set up?

No need to reverse-engineer it, we have the code!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 am

I've been studying how they did the thing in Teledahn. It's tricky, half of it is controlled by Python, the other half by the engine.
Never expect something simple or logical from Plasma :P

Technical stuff Show Spoiler

So, quite a lot of stuff to setup. Plus, it probably requires creating an aiming system, which would also be quite hard.

The easiest solution would be to lock the gun on some device, which would force it to shoot a bullet in the same direction - this way you're sure it will hit a single object. Not half as fun, though.
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Is this something you could help Calena set up if she was interested?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Calena » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I've thought about this and if we do it I'd either add an entire new section on the age designed completely around shooting the gun or maybe even give it it's own age. I really need to get this Pirate Cave built for my grandson for Christmas since he's already asked for it ;) , but after that I'm game for trying to build this thing. I'd definitely need your help. I don't have the knowledge of the code Sirius has or the knowledge about the plugin that Karkadann has. I do have the ability to produce though :) . I'm a building maniac and during the winter months, I spend WAY too much time building. Hey, if it keeps me happy and out of trouble, so be it. No complaints from me.

One thing we'll need is an idea for a gun that's built on a turret. It has to be eye level with the avatar, which normal pirate ship cannons really aren't.

Now, back to work shaping the second cave.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

Postby Sirius » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:22 am

Okay, I'll see if I can get it working. I don't have Max, but as long as libHSPlasma can handle it, I can rig it manually.
I won't even bother making a turret to rotate the gun. Simple camera-panning will be enough for testing purpose.

Best of luck with your cave ;)
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:47 pm

One thing we'll need is an idea for a gun that's built on a turret.

Hmm, i builded something today.
Can you use it?

I made it in Riven style.
Its not textured yet.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:37 pm

Real nice !
It surely feels Riven-ese, but I hardly see this thing on a boat... or it has to be a huge boat then ;)

I doubt it could be used like Teledahn's vapor gun, because of the size and weight of the bullets (the game assumes they fly in a straight line, which probably isn't true in this case. And it doesn't even draw any bullet when firing the gun, just a particle effect).

The best way would be to make the bullet kickable (well, kicking it with your feet would probably hurt, though).
Then, you could set the linear velocity of the bullet with Python, which means we could REALLY fire the bullet in any direction, and watch it bounce on walls or push other kickables nearby :D
The problem is, this was only implemented in MOUL's API (to handle Jalak Dador's kickables). Which means it won't work on Complete Chronicles :?
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Alright, I managed to get it working !

I built a simple gun turret, with no animation. I simply use it as a clickable.

Then, when this turret is clicked, the Python script switches the view to a camera in front of the barrel, and disables avatar movement.
The player can still pan the camera to aim (this way I didn't have to rig manually a whole aiming system).

When the jump key is pressed, the script asks the engine to find the nearest object in the center of the screen (which means it can find the exact location of the impact, the name of the object and the distance to the camera). If this object has a responder or a python file attached, the script can trigger it (this is how rocks break and shrooms move when shot in Teledahn).

It also tells the game to trigger all the bullet managers of all objects on this path, which puts decals on all these objects. I didn't bother with particles, but since it's engine-managed, it should be easy to setup in Max.

It doesn't have sounds, since they are handled by responders, but again it should be easy to setup.

Show Spoiler
Sirius

Postby Karkadann » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:17 am

I Using Max If you think I can help set up a tutorial
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Calena » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:52 pm

Well . . . umm . . . . okay /me says as I crawl around on the floor trying to pick up the pieces of what's left of my ego :shock: .

Holy smokes! You guys don't mess around when you get an idea, do you?!!! One day Sirius says "it's really complicated". The next thing we know, denDwaler shows up with an outrageously cool gun and Sirius has the whole thing figured out and working :lol: . I am officially impressed . . . and thinking we could have a whole lot of fun building something with this.

But I have a Pirate Cave to build before I can do anything else. Let me know if there's anything I can pitch in with in the meantime.
Galatians 2: 20-21

"Don't mess with me today. I have my CAPS LOCK key and I know how to use it!"
Calena

PreviousNext

Return to Building