Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:00 am

I do not know if this is even possible.

I am looking for a way of generating a user/game variable changeable by actions in game.

Then other actions that happen on the basis of that variable.

Initaly consider a closed door.

Next to that door there is a panel that displays two Dni Number characters.

the panel had four buttons.

Two of the buttons increase and decrease the least significant digit and two increase and decrease the most significant digit respectively.

When the value (decimal) lets call that Variable XD'ni that relates to the displayed D'ni digits meets some pre-determined value the door opens. and appears open for all visitors to the age.

Now consider two or three doors and various values result in various options of open/closed doors.

Two D'ni digits give a value of 0 to 576 with three doors there are 8 variations of doors open or closed.

Some predetermined arbitrary cases each of these doors or combination of these doors to be open.

Consider two visitors to any given age either visitor can change the value of the door combination lock and one the door or combination of doors are open.

For the logic to work all players who see the doors must remain frozen while the display changes and the door state changes.

Core to this is some player or multiple player action that changes the state of some hidden game value and the resulting new value changes the state of the game for any given instance.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 am

That sounds trivially doable to me. A proper usage of SDL and Responders with some Python for the extra puzzle-specific logic should be able to accomplish this.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:37 am

See my post "New Propsal for discussion.

https://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6752

I was also wondering could we make doors that open given Avatar status.

An example of this would be a door that would only open in the presence of at least one Male and one Female avatar.

Or two doors one that opens for Female avatars and the other for Male.

Or a door that only opens if you are wearing a Hat? Or a particular hat.
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:57 pm

There aren't any built-in logic conditionals for these, but it should be possible to do them with just a bit of Python, and mostly using the existing scripts. Off the top of my head:

J'Kla wrote:An example of this would be a door that would only open in the presence of at least one Male and one Female avatar. Or two doors one that opens for Female avatars and the other for Male.

I'd set up an SDL for the door lock, which the door would be set to active on with an xAgeSDLBoolCondResp. To change the SDL, I'd set up a detector that triggers a PythonFileMod which gets the triggering player and detects their shape. If it fits the requirements, change the SDL. You can determine the player's shape through ptPlayer.getAvatarClothingGroup(). You can use xAgeSDLBoolAndSet to require multiple triggers before setting that first SDL for the door.

J'Kla wrote:Or a door that only opens if you are wearing a Hat? Or a particular hat.

The logic would be similar to the above, but you can use ptPlayer.getAvatarClothingList() in the Python script to check if the hat is worn.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:23 pm

Interesting
J'Kla

Postby adraline » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:46 pm

I'm in college for 3D modeling and VR. This game is responsible for those college decisions. I'd love to give back. Does anybody need any assets built? I'd love to build an entire age but I really don't have the time or programming skills yet to conquer it all. Do people use unity or unreal? Are there libraries of textures available to use? I JUST joined tonight and haven't poked around too much but I will in the next week or so. I work at a VR studio so I have a lot of access to render farms, maya, speed tree for unity and a couple other programs that could be very helpful in age creation. Hit me up and we can chat!
adraline

Postby Sirius » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:37 am

Hi Adraline !

Nowadays people often work alone on Age modeling, but there are still collaborative projects from time to time. Besides, we don't have a lot of Age builders, so help will probably be welcome !

We mostly use Uru's game engine (called Plasma). It's quite old, but is still being improved by a few fans. It's certainly not as good as Unreal or Unity, but supports multiplayer quite well. Right now, multiplayer for fan-made Ages is only available on fan-made servers like Gehn or Deep Island, but in the future some of the Ages will probably be included in Cyan's Uru Live servers.
The engine does not have an editor like Unreal/Unity though: setting up the scene is done in either 3dsMax (using Cyan's official plugin), or in Blender (using fan-made plugins). Overall it make building much harder, but that all we got, unfortunately.

There are a few projects on Unreal and Unity though. I know Yali is working on a big project using Unreal. I'm working on converting existing Ages to work on Unity and in VR (although currently it's more of a personal hobby). And there are a few people who are interested in newer engines, although not a lot actually use them.

I'd love to build an entire age but I really don't have the time or programming skills yet to conquer it all

Well, you can focus on building a smaller Age (the size of Eder Tsogal for instance) if you prefer. And a few of us can handle the programming part.

Libraries of textures, hmmm... Well, the way the game is coded doesn't make reusing Cyan's textures easy, so it will probably be easier to find textures elsewhere (like at textures.com or at one of the websites in this post).

By the way, Myst and Uru are also the reason I got into computers myself :) but on the programming side (while still doing some modeling in my free time). I'm preparing an engineer degree in computing, and working part of my time as a developer. Don't know what I'd be doing today if I didn't play Myst as a kid :shock:

Anyway. Keep poking around, there are plenty of fan-made Ages to explore, and a lot of resources about Age building in the Wiki. Some of it might be quite confusing at first, so don't hesitate to ask questions in the forum :)
Sirius

Postby Yali » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:55 pm

The project in question is titled Ages, a reboot of Uru of sorts. Here's the link to the Discord server: https://discord.gg/caAeuVg We could really use some help in the realm of 3d modelling, Unreal, concept art if you do that as well.
Yali

Postby BeckaP » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm brand new here, so still poking around and exploring the site. I'd also love to be able to help build ages, but I don't think I have enough experience to do one myself. I am a novice programmer and I also have a done a little 3d modelling with Blender, but I prefer writing code. :) If anyone needs help with the programming side of things, I'd love to help as much as I can. Again, I'm pretty new with programming so I probably can't do a whole lot yet, but hopefully I'll learn as I go along.
BeckaP

Postby Deledrius » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Welcome, Becka! There are plenty of modeling-focused builders around here who can use the help of someone who knows (or can learn) how to wire things up. :) If you need help, feel free to ask!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Building