Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby dendwaler » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 am

Here is an example of a texture animated Lamp with 1 material.
You can export the age yourself to see it is what you want or not.
The textures are included. So there is nothing else you have to do.
Its unlikely that the used agenumber will interfere with anything else.

If this is what you mean, i can write an explanation of how to do this.
If you want i can make it together with 2 different scripts :
1) Turn the lamp on and of by touching it.
2) Turn the lamp on by walking into an area and switch it off by leaving that area.
Attachments
LampA.blend
(363.33 KiB) Downloaded 386 times
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:30 am

Tweek wrote:I believe Sirrus' new plugin handles animated lights (although that's for a new version of Blender IIRC).
Both versions of the plugin can, actually. The 2.49 version only allows you to animate the color, which is usually enough. The 2.7 version also allows you to animate the light's energy, mostly to make things more convenient (it's just a multiplier for the color).

Doobes wrote:Yes, projection lights. I've been unable to get them to fade in and out properly like in the light gardens in the hoods. They do, however, respond to VisRegions and I've been able to get them to move as well, although it looks a bit pixelated when it does. I've tried several types of animations for the lights and none translate over.
You mean, lights that project a texture onto objects ?
I never experimented with it, but I would say you have to animate the light's color (setting it to black should disable it), or the projected texture's "col" value, maybe. I don't know if that would work, or if you tried that already...
Sirius

Postby Tweek » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:25 am

dendwaler wrote:Here is an example of a texture animated Lamp with 1 material.
You can export the age yourself to see it is what you want or not.
The textures are included. So there is nothing else you have to do.
Its unlikely that the used agenumber will interfere with anything else.

If this is what you mean, i can write an explanation of how to do this.
If you want i can make it together with 2 different scripts :
1) Turn the lamp on and of by touching it.
2) Turn the lamp on by walking into an area and switch it off by leaving that area.

Ah no I wasn't talking about material animation, I was talking about an actual lamp light source, having that change :)
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:41 pm

Tweek wrote:I believe Sirrus' new plugin handles animated lights (although that's for a new version of Blender IIRC).
Both versions can, actually. The 2.49 version allows you to animate only the light's color (which is usually enough), but the 2.7 also allows you to animate the energy (energy is only a multiplier for the color's intensity, so it's mainly to make things more convenient).
What both don't support, is animating the distance/linear/quadratic values. Animating the intensity of the light's color should give a good approximation, though (which is where the Energy slider is more useful than animating the color directly, IMO).

Doobes wrote:Yes, projection lights. I've been unable to get them to fade in and out properly like in the light gardens in the hoods. They do, however, respond to VisRegions and I've been able to get them to move as well, although it looks a bit pixelated when it does. I've tried several types of animations for the lights and none translate over.
You mean, lights that project a texture onto objects ? I did not test it myself, but the first thing I would look into is animating either the light's color (black should disable it), or animating the texture's "Col" slider directly (I don't think animating the material's transparency itself would work, but you can try).
I don't know if you already tried those, or if they will work, but right now I don't have much time to test things :|

Tweek wrote:Just whilst we're on the topic of lights, I've been trying to get a lamp to change colour when triggered from blue to orange, is this currently supported? I've not had any luck thus far.
Animating the light's color itself is supported (in the lamp panel, I key → RGB. By default the animation should play looped endlessly). If you set the animation to not start automatically, then maybe whatever is supposed to trigger the light in the AlcScript fails to find the corresponding animation ? I don't know if there is a specific animation name for lights...

BTW, even though there was a small misunderstanding with what Tweek wanted, Dendwaler's file is interesting, I didn't know you could animate textures like this... :geek:
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:41 pm

Tweek wrote:Ah no I wasn't talking about material animation, I was talking about an actual lamp light source, having that change :)

What he said, although with an addendum.

Changing the RGB value of the light does shut projection lights off...but jarringly. The light blinks on and off even if there's a smooth IPO curve in Blender. So if you want your lights to flick on and off with no transition (like a regular light switch), that's a solution, but as far as fading lights on and off like in the light gardens, not so much.
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Doobes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Sorry to double post, but I should note that the wiki is unable to create thumbnails, which would help clean up some of these pages a bit. I keep getting this error:

Error creating thumbnail: /bin/bash: /usr/bin/convert: No such file or directory

I'm guessing someone with admin access will have to fix that. Just wanted to let you know. ;)
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Should be fixed now, I think.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Doobes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Yep, it's golden now. I was able to fix this page as a result:

http://www.guildofwriters.org/wiki/Avat ... tions_List

I'll be getting to some more soon. :)
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby J'Kla » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am

Korman, Ladders Tutorial.
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:25 pm

J'Kla wrote:Korman, Ladders Tutorial.

This is a good request. Unfortunately, Korman does not currently support ladders. This is a feature that will be included in 0.06, however, so stay tuned.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to Building