Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:46 am

So where do I find a PFM (Python File Modifier) named that way?

A Noob like me needs to know

Now try putting PFM into the Wiki Search. ;)

Oh yes it DOES NOT EXIST!

I also followed the link and there is No reference to Python File Modifier.

I could read forever! Noob or otherwise I am just pointing out that PFM is a loose end!

Oh I found it! Your Posts in this thread......
J'Kla

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 am

First: technical gibberish, while I guess it can be considered a language, is by no means secret - it's like using "it's" instead of "it is". You start using it because it's so damn much more convenient, you keep using it because of habit.
Just ask and we'll explain as best we can, because we know we can't make everything understandable on the first try (although be warned we can't always cut the technical part out of technical subjects, for obvious reasons).

Second:
pfn.jpg
pfn.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 5873 times

The Python File Node exports a Python File Mod. Simple, yea ?

Now let's keep this civil, shall we ? :ugeek:

EDIT: and just to make sure we don't mutually waste everyone's time:
Download the Python sources for MOUL, and use those when you click on the big "select" button above. Pick one of those fancy scripts, and you'll notice the node just gained extra input parameters. You'll obviously have to link those to various other Python Attribute nodes. If the purpose of one of those is unclear, ask us more precision about them.
Sirius

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

Just forgot to add:

Aloys wrote:
Sirius wrote:When I think of all the Fan-Ages we have, and how many of them have almost no logic in them...

It's because it's hard. :o Or because we are lazy. >_> (maybe a bit of both)
I know I gave up making Ages because adding decent interactivy to them through AlcScript etc was too convoluted..

Oh, I understand, it's the exact same reason I switched to Unity ;) and yet I handle AlcScript, PRP hacking and Python scripting pretty well... But PyPRP was just too damn annoying. Korman less so, but there is no going back from Unity, and I won't hesitate to bore everyone to death with how cool the engine is :twisted: People who built Ages with PyPRP deserve a medal, though.

No, while it's sad there is so little interactivity in existing Ages, it's still pretty cool to see future Ages will only get better.
Sirius

Postby Doobes » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Sirius wrote:People who built Ages with PyPRP deserve a medal, though.

Eh, it was tough, but the end user was able to see the fruits of that labor. I'd argue their praise and compliments were enough, at least for me.

Now all the programmers that went through the herculean effort to pick apart the Plasma engine and Python scripts to put the plugin together with far too little fanfare, on the other hand...they deserve those medals, IMHO. ;)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Sirius » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:44 pm

True enough ;) Korman on its own is outstanding, but as a frequent user of HSPlasma, I can confirm a LOT of work went into coding all those tools :shock: So nice job guys !
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:21 pm

[Noob Speak]
PFM node is a Python Node and when you select from the drop down box you are selecting a a piece of code that is known as a Python File Modifier.
[/Noob Speak]
J'Kla

Postby Doobes » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm

...aaaanyway, to steer us back on topic, what other tutorials are we looking to add/modify/expand? :D
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:53 pm

So many, oh so many. I think one for PlasmaHTML would not go amiss. I have the Korman Ladder and SDL pages on my list for expanding/updating soon.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 am

I wrote a small introduction to it on my simple journals & linking book post, if that can help. It covers the basics.
Sirius

Postby J'Kla » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 am

This is a core request and I am not expecting anything soon (possibly even Cyan soon). But I do see this a a route to allow age builders to quickly and simply make interactive puzzles.

I am looking for a tutorial where we have a sample age in which we have an SDL variable that’s an integer value.

We create two clickables one that increases this value and one that decreases this value.

Some means of displaying this value in the age. Preferably as a D’ni Number.

Then a third clickable that will perform some action based on that variables value.

A mismatch with the value kicks of some indication that the selected value is wrong or possibly just does nothing.

A correct match kicks of an animation like an opening door or makes a currently invisible link to another place become visible.

Possibly changes the state of an object such that the avatar can pass through it or links to some other place within the age

I would have a preference where all of this is encoded using nodes rather than hard coding python.

However if hard coding python is the only way then so be it. ;)
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Building