Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby Sirius » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:54 am

I second what Ametist linked, this is a good start. A lot comes naturally once you start playing with node trees and understanding what each node does.

Also, Korman recently added the Add → Plasma → Linking Book object, which may be useful for linking around. (There is also the LinkToAge message node, but it's usually best to avoid it and stick to linking books IMHO.)
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:21 am

In a fully textured age , i started to wire animations.
As soon as an animation is coupled to an object , this object shows up completely black inside the game.
Does anyone know how to solve this or what the reason is?
Animated textures are no problem.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:00 am

Animated objects are generally not lightmapped, so they will use runtime lighting instead. Double check if there are lamps nearby, or if the materials use any lightgroup, and if the lamp appear to be working for other objects (like the avatar).
Sirius

Postby dendwaler » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 am

Thx Sirius that clears it.
Because converting the cathedral caused an unbelieveable number of errors and / or problems i enabled objects one by one .
.and solved issue by issue.
i have not enabled lightmaps at all yet because exporting with enabled lightmaps is a slow process of 1022 seconds for each change.
With the lightmaps disabled only around 1minute.
Therefore i do the lightmapping after everything else is correct.
So yeah , no lightgroups yet.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:05 am

Alright.
Fortunately, we're currently testing an upcoming feature for Korman which allows reusing baked lighting across exports. So hopefully in the future you won't have to always wait that long to export an Age ;)
Sirius

Postby ametist » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:35 am

dendwaler wrote:In a fully textured age , i started to wire animations.
As soon as an animation is coupled to an object , this object shows up completely black inside the game.
Does anyone know how to solve this or what the reason is?
Animated textures are no problem.

This happened to me too when I upgraded to korman 0.11a. I ended up having to give every animated object a parent, an empty, to carry the animation.
Then I vertex painted the objects. A lot of work but that's part of the game isn't it ;) . Looks good now, so just a tip!
ametist

Postby dendwaler » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:52 am

Wow,
that 's a beautifull workaround! I tried it on a few doors and it worked perfectly!
Thx a lot for sharing this.

dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:36 am

A lot of work but that's part of the game isn't it

I Think this method is the quickest way to do it:

To copy animation from one object to another, select the empty you want to animate, then select the object you want to copy animation from.
Now press Ctrl+L and choose "Animation Data".

As the animation data is now linked, changing the animation on one object also changes the animation on the other.

To prevent this, make the object "single user".
Go to Object > Relations > Make Single User > Object Animation > Selected objects
Now you can edit the animation of both objects independently and delete the animation of the object .
Finally parent the object with the empty.

dendwaler

Postby Maroonroon » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:06 pm

I'd like to create a new relto page (a reward in one of my Ages) for, at least, "Offline Uru CC + Drizzle32", but any tutorial link I find is dead...
Please, can someone explain me how to do, please?
Maroonroon

Postby Sirius » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:07 am

It seems the only tutorial we had was on Dustin's website, which is now defunct. No worries though. Here is how you do it:

First, we'll need a "fake" Uru folder to export to. This is required otherwise we risk overwriting the Relto files, which we don't want. Create a new folder somewhere on your PC. Inside, copy UruExplorer.exe, and create an empty "dat" folder.
Go to Korman's configuration panel, where you configured your games folder. Add the newly created "fake" Uru directory as a new game folder. Set its version to "Path of the Shell". Save your preferences so they don't reset.

Then, use ZLZ to import the Relto (Personal.age) into Blender. In the World panel, go to the "Plasma Age" section, and untick the checkbox next to psnlMYSTII (and any other page that might appear, but usually ZLZ only imports psnlMYSTII). This will disable the main Relto island, which will speed up exporting. Also disable "Age Global SDL" below it - you don't need it. Also uncheck "Use Textures Page" - very important. Add a new page, which you name "UamPage-Something" (UamPage-MoreTrees, UamPage-RewardForMyAge, or something like this). Give it a page ID - now this is where it gets tricky, because it mustn't conflict with an existing page. At some point we'll need a proper list like the one we already have for sequence prefixes.
Then, build any stuff you want in this file. Remember to enable "Plasma Object" for each new object, and assign it to your new page ! Once you're done, make sure you're targeting your fake Uru folder, then export the Age (again, MAKE SURE your fake Uru folder is selected. Otherwise you'll screw up your real Uru install and maybe even your savegame).

Go to the fake Uru folder you created. You'll see in the DAT folder that Korman exported the Personal age, along with your new UamPage-Something. Copy that file into your real Uru folder. Almost done.

Finally, inside your real Uru folder, go to "img/UamRelto". You probably have a few files here already. Those tell the Relto Book that your page exists. Create a new file (or duplicate an existing one), and write in it:
Code: Select all
default=off;
pagenum=222;
text--en=My test page;
hide=CyansObjectName1,CyansObjectName2;

"default" is "off" if you want the player to get the page immediately. If you want the player to obtain the page in your Age, use "unattained" instead.
"pagenum" is the page number which you decided earlier.
"text-en" is a name or short description of what your page does. It will be visible in the Relto book. The "-en" suffix is for English, so you can also add "text-fr" and "text-de" lines for translations.
"hide" allows you to hide existing objects from the Relto when your page is enabled. Delete the line if you don't need it.

This should be enough to get you started. There is also the matter of actually unlocking the Relto page if you set it to "unattained", but I haven't looked into it yet. I'll probably make a proper tutorial on the Wiki later when I have time.
Sirius

PreviousNext

Return to Building