Tutorial and Information Requests

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Re: Tutorial and Information Requests

Postby J'Kla » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:28 am

Ok if you want to test Korman output you can do this using the Destiny Shard.

https://destiny.mystler.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

You can also do this testing following the method I have described in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=6907

This is where you build a LAN based shard and this can be run using a home Router and both of these will alow you to export your Blender files as MOUL compatable exports.
J'Kla

Postby Doobes » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:30 pm

J'Kla wrote:Ok if you want to test Korman output you can do this using the Destiny Shard.

https://destiny.mystler.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

I can personally vouch for this method. Works great using console commands to navigate to your Ages and it's fairly easy to set up if you have an existing MOULa installation to copy over.

You can also do this testing following the method I have described in the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=6907

This is where you build a LAN based shard and this can be run using a home Router and both of these will alow you to export your Blender files as MOUL compatable exports.

*blink* I'm...guessing that's not for beginners. :shock:

Jackpumpkinhead wrote:just for clarification, Myst V is the only game with the original Myst island that can be imported to blender?

Pretty much (after some pre-conversion of its own before Blender importation), and even that version doesn't have everything. Still, better than nothing. ;)
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby J'Kla » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:11 am

Doobes wrote:
*blink* I'm...guessing that's not for beginners. :shock:

But Doobes thats surely a cruel slurr on the quality of my LAN dirtsand building instructions ;)

Joking aside you and others may consider it somthing that is not for beginers but it stands as an alternative that is an option that can be explored.

In fact I have written the instructions directly with beginners in mind and it is precicely those beginers that will feedback and improve the quality of the instructions.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:00 am

Back in the Until Uru days there were some custom avatar animations added and the one that obviously springs to mind is the /hugs animation that made use of the looking at your KI animation and putting two avatars facing and close.

There was also a mod of the /dance animation because the original one was rubbish.

Are there any old tutorials kicking around that could add some clues.

I was also wondering are there any tutorials that would give some guidance on avatar modification with respect to the lower leg mod mentioned in the Differntly Abled Inclusion thread.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:01 am

OK I am about to vanish down the rabbit hole of MOSS in the same way I did for dirtsand in the hope of producing a Noob compatible instruction document.

I have grabbed the MOSS/Setup instructions from OpenUru.org and as usual they have the clarity of a good cup of Tea with some bits of biscuit from a dunking floating around in it.

I do recognise this is OpenUru.org but I do find that I am more likely to get an answer here than elsewhere and I am tring to get this to work with Korman which is local to this forum. :)

My plan is to use a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 updated and upgraded as a start point.

For my hardware I plan on swapping out the hard drive from my dirtsand build as know this was stable for that dirtsand build.

This means I have a known 64bit AMD server with a good wedge of memory.

I have found the MOSS distribution specific instructions and I have extracted the Ubuntu Linux set just to show it was written a while ago it talks about Ubuntu release 10.04.4 and it talks about installs that have new names and a mess of stuff that is clearly out of date.

The second block of install mentions

sudo apt-get install murcurial

This was the instruction that diverted me down the dirtsand path the first time.

Is it possible that someone can visit

http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title ... structions

Pick the bones out of that and be definitive on what we do need to have installed

the page MOSS/Setup page

http://wiki.openuru.org/index.php?title=MOSS/Setup

Has a bunch of Prerequisites as follows

[Prerequisites]

Before you start, assuming you already have a compatible OS, you need to ensure you have the following: I am assuming my Ubuntu 18.04 is adequate

pthreads (almost certainly installed already) I don't know is it?

libiconv (almost certainly installed already) I don't know is it?

OpenSSL (also almost certainly installed) -- you need both the libraries and the development headers if that's separate (I'm looking at you, Debian)
Versions found to work: 1.0.1 – Versions found not to work: 0.9.7 We did not use this with dirtsand but we did add libssl-dev so does this replace OpenSSL?

Zlib (also probably installed) -- both the library and the development stuff if separate OK for dirtsand we installed zlib1g-dev so would that cover all we need for Zlib

PostgreSQL -- both the sever and client, plus any development packages For dirtsand we installed postgresql and postgresql-contrib does this pair or do we need to specifically install a server and client

libpqxx -- both the library and the development package for dirtsand we used libpq-dev I am thinking this replaces libpqxx

Versions found to work: 3.1 – Versions found not to work: 4.0 have to assume this is an irrelevant comment?

gcc, g++, whatever all you need for compiling C++ <shrug>?

If you are compiling from a clone of a Mercurial respository and there is no "configure" script, you also need the autotools: <shrug>?

autoconf
Versions found to work: 2.68 – Versions found not to work: 2.59 <shrug>?

automake Is this cmake?
Versions found to work: 1.11.3 – Versions found not to work: 1.6.3 have to assume this is an irrelevant comment?

libtool Is this libreadline-dev?
Versions found to work: 2.4.2 – Versions found not to work: 1.5 have to assume this is an irrelevant comment?

[/Prerequisites]

Note my comments in red are pure guesswork and are probably total crap but they are just to show I am trying to understand the instructions even if I am totally off the mark :)

I know that a lot of this has to do with stuff that would be acquired from the mercurial link and as far as I can understand that is almost the same as github so that mercurial install has an equivalence to the git install we used for dirtsand.

I have refreshed my inquiry over at the OpenUru forum as you are aware I tend not to be concerned where an answer comes from rather that I get an answer that I understand.

In the coming weeks I will also be building a new dirtsand shard in new hardware and that will inform me if there are any updates required to the Noob proof instructions for dirtsand.
J'Kla

Postby J'Kla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 am

I have recently been told about resource.dat and how this file contains the graphic used at the start of Gehn I am now using this for my modified LAN based shard client.

I have tried accessing this file with

Plasma Shop
PrpShop
VaultShop

None of these even see the file.

I tried looking at it with a text editor ConText (My normal go to) and its just gibberish.

Any pointers guys?
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:37 am

J'Kla wrote:I have recently been told about resource.dat and how this file contains the graphic used at the start of Gehn I am now using this for my modified LAN based shard client.

I have tried accessing this file with

Plasma Shop

Any pointers guys?

PlasmaShop should be able to open the resource.dat file. It's listed in the Images folder in the right pane. It's very basic, but it should work on both the cursor.dat used by Myst V and the resource.dat supported by the current MOULa client, at least so far as extracting or inserting images.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:02 am

OK pulled the images and there are 180 that look like the pen nib and they are all the same size.

Fortunately I am happy with the Nib as an image. :)

Next question when I start the default background is the standard Mushroom Teledahn view

When Gehn starts its an image of the Myst room where you meet Atrus.

I want to change this image to something else can I get a clue as to where that is located?
J'Kla

Postby Deledrius » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:37 am

J'Kla wrote:Next question when I start the default background is the standard Mushroom Teledahn view

When Gehn starts its an image of the Myst room where you meet Atrus.

I want to change this image to something else can I get a clue as to where that is located?

I want it to be a series of images in an Image Library Mod, but getting Plasma to change a plLayer on the fly has proved... troublesome.

Currently, there's a plLayer you have to change to use your own plMipmap in GUI_District_GUIDialog04a.prp. Add the new image as a Mipmap to this PRP, and change the layer named "Map #38" to use your new Mipmap (click the "..." to the right of it, select "Set Object", and select it from the Object dropdown list).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:18 am

Is there any documentation on PRP Shop, Plasma Shop, or Vault Shop?

Would it be worth me starting a Noob instructions project for those?
J'Kla

PreviousNext

Return to Building