xLinkingBookDefs.py & Linking Made Simpler

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

xLinkingBookDefs.py & Linking Made Simpler

Postby Karkadann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Been trying to get a linking book working using xLinkingBookGUIPopup.py. It works great for the ages listed in the xLinkingBookDefs.py but cant get it working for any of the fan ages so far.
Does any one know if their is a way to add my own linking panel to the xLinkingBookDefs.py python.

Linking Made simpler experiments starts from bottom of second page
Last edited by Karkadann on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: xLinkingBookDefs.py

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:36 pm

Don't use this file for fan age linking books. We don't want a bunch of age writers modifying this file and having conflicts over which version is definitive... Use whatever diafero has provided with the offline KI.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Karkadann » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Will do thanks
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby Ehren » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 pm

It shouldn't be hard to use a linking panel with xLinkingBookDefs. You can see how Cyan refers to most of their linking books and linking images and just copy and edit that general form to refer to a new book. Paying attention to what "+ LinkEnd" means for the image's name...

Or are you saying you are trying to avoid editing xLinkingBookDefs?
Ehren

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:45 pm

DO NOT USE THIS FILE.

Don't even whisper the possibility of using it. Don't think about it. The only time you should ever, ever, ever do it is if you are the King of the Universe and have complete authority (ie you are Cyan). If you doubt any one of those things, don't do it. I don't do it. You shouldn't do it. Otherwise, you will cause pain, headaches, trials, and tribulations for all. Perhaps even the end of the world.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby GPNMilano » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:18 pm

But...don't both Gehn and TOC use this for their stuff?

Hoikas is right though. Sevkor's link will more than likely be provided through the Nexus, and from there a system can be written from scratch to deal with the linking out of Sevkor to the other fan ages.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 pm

In that case, Deledrius is "King of the Universe" and no one else touches the file...

;)
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Deledrius » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

GPNMilano wrote:But...don't both Gehn and TOC use this for their stuff?

That's correct. However, I'll say that the logical distinction here is that the shard admins, not the Age-writers, edit their locally-canonical version for that shard. It's an installation-specific implementation thing (and honestly it's a hack too, but we can't really fix it without blah blah content license). Cyan wrote this thing with the expectation that the publisher, maintainer, and content-creator is all the same person (themselves) and that they'd have one set of that file to maintain.

In an ideal world this stuff would be data-driven correctly and not thrown in a script file like it is, so that Age writers could write their stuff without needing to interact with global scripts. Maybe we'll get there someday. I was looking into a better way to do this some time ago, but it's hard to juggle it when we have to preserve 100% backwards-compatibility and can't upgrade/fix the existing content to use an improved system. I did work out a much simplified journal script that does away with the hardcoded journal defs, and I hope to do something similar for the linking books that will put this directly in control of the Age writers, and in a way that isn't prone to causing an unworkable mess.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Karkadann » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:DO NOT USE THIS FILE.

Don't even whisper the possibility of using it. Don't think about it. The only time you should ever, ever, ever do it is if you are the King of the Universe and have complete authority (ie you are Cyan). If you doubt any one of those things, don't do it. I don't do it. You shouldn't do it. Otherwise, you will cause pain, headaches, trials, and tribulations for all. Perhaps even the end of the world.

GEE Thanks.....Now you got me curios. Are their any other components that cause Armageddon Cyan failed to tell us about?
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:46 am

Karkadann wrote:GEE Thanks.....Now you got me curios. Are their any other components that cause Armageddon Cyan failed to tell us about?

Well, this is pretty easy, I hope: As a rule of thumb, if you find yourself editing scripts specifically to serve your Age in any files outside of the ones you've created for your Age, you're inviting a conflict down the road.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Next

Return to Building