Buttons won't work in 1st person

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Buttons won't work in 1st person

Postby rocketdog » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Just got a bug report from one of the people testing my age and can't find the answer.

I'm using 3ds max v8

There are four buttons on my elevator two on the elevator and to off. All for buttons work as they should in 3rd person, but in 1st person the two on the elevator do not work, while the two off the elevator do work. I am thinking this has something to do with the subworld dummy. Any ideas?

rocketdog
Last edited by rocketdog on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rocketdog

Re: Buttons won't work in 1st person

Postby dendwaler » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:23 pm

If you are using visregions , be sure that the complete set of four buttons are in the same visregion.
Just a wildguess from me, because i do not recognize the problem except what i said, i can't find anything related with the view however.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby Karkadann » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 pm

the first thing that comes to mind is are the buttons linked to the sub world dummy but if they work in first person I assume they are, I have had some strange issues with the plug-ins that I could not solve and I just had to figure out a work around.
Perhaps setting up a camera region in the elevator that keeps the AV in third person might work if no one else comes up with a solution?

its to bad you cant import the Teledahn age files into Max and study the Elevator there for possible solutions.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby rocketdog » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Karkadann

I have set up a camera region in the elevator but that still allows me to go into first person. Is there a way to force it to stay in 3rd person.

There is a "Camera Force 3rd" under "Components, Directors, State, Add" However as I see it that takes affect after pushing the "Clickable."

rocketdog
rocketdog

Postby Karkadann » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:52 pm

im not sure as far as the components are concerned, you might try a customized python file if you know someone who can write one.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Karkadann

Postby tachzusamm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 am

Does the camera region work at all?
If not:
If you're in a subworld (in your case: the elevator), regions do normally not respond/react/work - except you attach them to the subworld, set them as belonging to the subworld, whatever this is called in MAX.
I could tell you how to do this with Blender/AlcScript, but I don't know how to in Max. But there is surely a way to do it.

If the region DOES work, but only does not prevent you to enter 1st person mode:
You will have to disable first person mode while in the region. Either this can be done from Max, or you'll have to write a script for it.
tachzusamm

Postby rocketdog » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Tachzusamm,

Yes, the two buttons are attached to the subworld and they do work in 3rd person.

rocketdog
rocketdog

Postby dendwaler » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 am

Does it not work? or is it not longer "clickable".?
In the latter it might be that in first person the cam is outside the clickable region.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby tachzusamm » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Question:
tachzusamm wrote:Does the camera region work at all?

Answer:
rocketdog wrote:Yes, the two buttons are attached to the subworld and they do work in 3rd person.

Mhh, I think something goes wrong here :?
tachzusamm

Postby Karkadann » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:54 am

dendwaler wrote:Does it not work? or is it not longer "clickable".?
In the latter it might be that in first person the cam is outside the clickable region.

You may be able to test that out just by setting the "Required Region" under "clickable object" to ignore.

Would their be a way to merge just the subworld and the clickable objects into a separate Max file so they could see the issue first hand ? I know people here are good at reverse engineering if they where able to pick threw the actual clickables and subworlds they might be able to figure it out. perhaps set up the subworld elevator and the clickables in a test-age with just your basic mesh and components so they can get a better idea of the issue.

If all else fails, you may wanna consider replacing the elevator with a ladder, I have a collection of some simple 6, 8, 10. 12, and 48 foot ladders if you just want a quick fix
Karkadann

Return to Building