Has anyone made a good tutorial on vertex painting

If you feel like you're up to the challenge of building your own Ages in Blender or 3ds Max, this is the place for you!

Has anyone made a good tutorial on vertex painting

Postby rocketdog » Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Has anyone made a good tutorial on vertex painting ? Either a video, or one with pictures and good explanation of the process.

rocketdog
rocketdog

Re: Has anyone made a good tutorial on vertex painting

Postby dendwaler » Sun May 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Are you using Blender ?
if so, then here is an old link to a tutorial for 2,49 b

http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/paint-meshes-with-vertex-paint-blender-176951/

Its a simple process and not always usefull om very low poly models.

If you have a plane with four vertices you can assign a color to each vertex point (corner)
you cannot paint the plane but only hit the vertex.
On a densy mesh it works very well, but on low poly not, because you won't have resolution..
In the latter you can better use stencils.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby dendwaler » Sun May 11, 2014 11:52 pm

I realized that you probably not realy want to Vertex paint , but instead want to store the shading information into the vertex colors.
This is less demanding for the game engine and you have to do this for all the objects in the age.

This can be done in three steps as shown in the next screenshot.

1) shows the setting after you did all the uv mapping and texturing, the shadeless button is not active, textures are all set to active ( for each material of the object.)
2) you store this information by setting the vertex colors , do this as shown in the second picture.
You can only find this setting once you entered the vertex paint mode.
3) shows the final setting ready to export in a prp. The "shadeless" button is activated, the texture and shadbuffer are deactivated.
So after the vertex colors are set you have to change the setting for each material inside the object
Thats it.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby rocketdog » Tue May 13, 2014 2:32 pm

dendwaler,

Thanks, I forgot to say I am using 3ds max 8. I'll take a look at your post it may help me figure it out.

I guess I can presume there is no good tutorial for 3ds max as no one has listed one.

I should add What I really want to do is "Vertex paint" using "Vertex Alpha" to blend textures.

rocketdog
rocketdog

Return to Building